• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about POOP! :)

CavAddict

Hi!,

I have not posted in a while but wanted to check in. Can anyone tell me how often a 7 month old male pup should poop? He eats twice a day, dry high quality kibbble. He has a few treats mid -day. We are having a hard time gettting him to poop outside regularly. On the few occassions that he had an accident inside he eats it....yuck! Is this normal? I feel like he is of the age where his body should be on a regular schedule .

One more thing to note....he is getting neutered on Wed. I am very nervous for him. He started marking and lifting his leg last week. WHere did the time go? I thought he would stay a puppy forever.

One more question. He is currently 15 pounds and is supposed to be on the smaller side. At what point are they typically full grown?

Thank you for all your advice!

I am in no way experienced, but I have done a lot of research. What I have read is that they usually grow to double their weight at 3 months.

With the poop, Bella still eats 3 times a day and she will do at least 3 poos a day, sometimes however it is like she will do one and then the other half of it she does 1/2 hour to 1 hour later. So between 3 and 6 a day. With your pup I would think it would be between 2 and 4 a day.

I do not know about the eating of his own poop, but Bella tried to eat cat poop once - glad I was there to stop her! I think pups love to try anything that is smelly.

hi

my louie used to eat his own poo through the night there were only traces left in the morning
when he was a puppy but as he got older he stopped eating his poo so do'nt worrie

Hi!,

I have not posted in a while but wanted to check in. Can anyone tell me how often a 7 month old male pup should poop? He eats twice a day, dry high quality kibbble. He has a few treats mid -day. We are having a hard time gettting him to poop outside regularly. On the few occassions that he had an accident inside he eats it....yuck! Is this normal? I feel like he is of the age where his body should be on a regular schedule .

One more thing to note....he is getting neutered on Wed. I am very nervous for him. He started marking and lifting his leg last week. WHere did the time go? I thought he would stay a puppy forever.

One more question. He is currently 15 pounds and is supposed to be on the smaller side. At what point are they typically full grown?

Thank you for all your advice!

I am a relatively new puppy owner too, so I am definitely not an expert, but I also have a 7 month old puppy, so I can tell you what Sonny does. :) Sonny also eats twice a day and eats dry kibble. I feed him Natural Balance. He poops three times a day. Once when he wakes up, once at around noon and once at night.

Sonny just got neutered too and I was very nervous, but he did great and had no complications. The hardest part ended up being able to keep him quiet and calm. He was a little lethargic, would yelp and was not as active the first couple of days, but then he was back to his old self and wanted to play and run around! I bought baby onesies and cut a hole for his tail and these seemed to work really well to keep him from licking his incision. Good Luck on Wednesday! Sonny and I will be sending positive thoughts!:hug:

Sonny is 18 pounds at 7 months. I am not sure at what age they are typically fully grown. I think that males will continue to fill out until they are around 18 months...... I also have heard that you can figure out a male's approximate weight by doubling their weight at 16 weeks.

Eating poop is pretty common so I guess it qualifies as "normal" if unpleasant (and yes it can be more common in puppies then stop, thankfully)! The best approach to poop eaters is to be there to clean up after them and any other household dogs *immediately* after they go. If he is having accidents inside then this is def a sign that he has too much freedom/free rein inside. In other words -- he is not yet fully housetrained/hasn't earned this much freedom - usually takes til about age 1 for solid reliability!) and it is critical to manage very closely at this time or he can continue to slide backwards and never really get that he shouldn't be going inside. I'd go back to very close management; at arm's length unless asleep or crated when inside. Tether him to you by a lead tied to a belt loop inside for example. Make trips outside regular; be sure to be treating/praising with a high value treat when he goes outside. Try taking him to the same spot and leave a bit of poop there each time for him to reorient to. Never let him wander into rooms where no one is directly supervising him at all times.

On size: males will reach most of full weight by age 1 but continue to fill out a bit for another 6 months-year usually. I'd expect him to gain a couple of more pounds yet. I would always be a bit skeptical when breeders predict their puppies will be 'on the small side" as first off, this shouldn't be a goal anyway (and often the people who make such promises are not the greatest breeders and are selling their pups on the basis that they will be 'small cavaliers' -- usually they will not be any different than any normal cavalier litter! :) )and second of all, is very hard to predict except by very experienced breeders who know size of litters for parents, and all four grandparents as parents alone are only a very rough indicator (15lbs would be fairly small for an adult male cavalier).

I've neutered literally close to 200 cavaliers and have never had a problem. :) We have lots of previous discussions here that should give you some support and help and reassurance! :flwr: The suggestions above are all very good!

My 1-year-old Cav eats the cat's poop, not her own. I've raised the litter onto a table, but in my frustation at her eating poop, I read that adding grapefruit, Prozyme (a probiotic enzymatic vitamin addititve), or pumpkin to the dog (or cat's) diet can make the poop not as appealing. Not sure if she would eat the grapefruit - weird, but I believe pure canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie) is a great idea for your particular situation anyway as it has tons of vitamins and can solve both diarrhea AND constipation and is a great method to use for weight loss. Instead of 1 cup of food per day, you feed 3/4 cup of food and 1/4 of pumpkin and it makes them feel full, but promotes losing bulk if needed (esp. after a neuter when they can put on weight). Of course, yours doesn't need to lose weight, so you would just add a tsp or two to the food. I did just read too that if they are pooping at night - sneaking out of the bedroom to go poop, that you need to feed their last meal just before your dinner and then remove food so their last stool is not in the middle of the night. Or, close the bedroom door or crate them beside your bed. Like Karlin said, they haven't earned their place on the bed if they are soiling basically.

All my dogs will eat cat poops -- aka "kitty roca".

I just got this great new litter box which prevents the dogs getting in -- it is expensive but looks nice, is very solid and I have spent as much on smaller boxes of various sizes and designs that are all now unused in the attic!

http://www.modkat.com/

IMHO totally worth the money! I like it so much that I will get another. Not all the cats will use it, but am hoping to migrate the older ones over to it over time. Another bonus is they track far less litter around! The scoop is also the best I've had. It comes with a permanent lift-out liner for easy cleaning. In Ireland I ordered mine from online pet site Zooplus, where it's €119. If any of you with cat/dog households go nuts from cleaning up tracked litter and/or having dogs with cat poop breath and/or ugly/flimsy litter boxes -- you will love this litter box.

All my dogs will eat cat poops -- aka "kitty roca".

I just got this great new litter box which prevents the dogs getting in -- it is expensive but looks nice, is very solid and I have spent as much on smaller boxes of various sizes and designs that are all now unused in the attic!

http://www.modkat.com/

IMHO totally worth the money! I like it so much that I will get another. Not all the cats will use it, but am hoping to migrate the older ones over to it over time. Another bonus is they track far less litter around! The scoop is also the best I've had. It comes with a permanent lift-out liner for easy cleaning. In Ireland I ordered mine from online pet site Zooplus, where it's €119. If any of you with cat/dog households go nuts from cleaning up tracked litter and/or having dogs with cat poop breath and/or ugly/flimsy litter boxes -- you will love this litter box.

That looks like a pretty good solution. I have been having a huge problem with Sonny sneaking into Nico's litter box. Did it take very long for your cats to start using it? Thanks for posting this!

Cat poop

They sell something similar in U.S. that's a top-entry litterbox. Saw a video on youtube how to make one and my hubby took a storage tote and cut a whole in the lid, sanded the edges and added electrical tape just to make sure there were no hard edges. No cat used it for two days, so I took the top off. Our Cav cannot get that high, but the cats can jump off the cat tower and use it! Hurray! I'm going to wait a while and then put the lid on hoping for the best. I adopted a cat who was used to an open litterbox and I kept the lid off for a while until they got used to it.

I hear that big dogs can dive their noses in if they are really motivated, but it's fairly deep so it would take great motivation. The trick is that it's not RIGHT in front of their nose... for the taking!

Interesting! I will have to look into it. Right now I keep the door to the room where the litter is stored closed, but then I don't always know when my kitty needs to go in there! Thanks for the advice on top entry boxes!

Hi all! As for eating cat poop, my mixed breed started getting in the litter box, so I started searching for a solution. I found a top entry litter box at Petsmart for around 30-35.00. It works like a charm! My cat acclimated to it in no time. However, if you have an older cat it may be hard for them to jump up and down into and out of it. Two of my Cavaliers have been known to eat their own poop at times and what I've found that works the best is to add a pre-probiotic/enzyme supplement to their food. I believe someone mentioned that above. Solid Gold Seameal works well (it has prozyme in it). Right now I'm using Wholistic Pet Digest All Plus. I do switch it up with the supplements every now and then. Hope this helps.

Back