• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fleas!

Alana

It is flea season in Australia and it is bad. The day after I bought Bella home she had heaps of them and I combed them out and drowned them. After looking on here I bought some sentinel which worked great with the worms but I was advised to give her capstar as well. I flea bombed the house. This killed the fleas but then a few days later they were back. Now I am still picking off about 3 a day. They really irritate her. After the sentinel runs out I am thinking about trying Panoramis which actually kills the fleas instead of just making them unable to reproduce. Anyone tried it? Has anyone had a pup with a flea allergy?

Last edited:
Brooky was bad when we first got her. Sydney is horrible with fleas. But once we started using Comfortis (and I add Advantix during tick season), I never saw another one again. Amazing stuff, just a chew that they eat once a month or you can crush and put on food. Seriously amazing, it's been a year, not one flea again. I also flea bomb at the beginning of the season too. Once you have her fleas under control, you will want to bomb again because they will probably still be in the environment :)
Hope that helps!

On a side note, we also worm her once a month with Interceptor Spectrum. I feel to really control fleas in a hard climate like Oz, you need an individual product (flea specific) to really do the trick

Thank you. I was initially going to get Comfortis but decided against it because it doesn't do the others. I will go and get some comfortis and a separate wormer. I had trouble getting her to eat the Sentinel chew. I ended up breaking it into little bits and putting it in her food. Thanks again!

Brooky was bad when we first got her. Sydney is horrible with fleas. But once we started using Comfortis (and I add Advantix during tick season), I never saw another one again. Amazing stuff, just a chew that they eat once a month or you can crush and put on food. Seriously amazing, it's been a year, not one flea again. I also flea bomb at the beginning of the season too. Once you have her fleas under control, you will want to bomb again because they will probably still be in the environment :)
Hope that helps!

On a side note, we also worm her once a month with Interceptor Spectrum. I feel to really control fleas in a hard climate like Oz, you need an individual product (flea specific) to really do the trick

Hi,
what is a flea bomb?
kitty

They are spray cans. You buy one for every room of your house. Get everyone outside, press down the triggers on them all and they start spraying, get out of your house as fast as you can. You wait 2 hours, go back home, all the cockeroaches, fleas, spiders etc are dead. Open all the doors and windows. Keep everyone outside while the fresh air gets in and then you go in and vacuum up all of the bugs. They are great.

They are spray cans. You buy one for every room of your house. Get everyone outside, press down the triggers on them all and they start spraying, get out of your house as fast as you can. You wait 2 hours, go back home, all the cockeroaches, fleas, spiders etc are dead. Open all the doors and windows. Keep everyone outside while the fresh air gets in and then you go in and vacuum up all of the bugs. They are great.
YUK!!
I really admire you for being able to live in such an insect-full environment, maybe over time you get used to them, or at least build up a tolerance?

No, I still hate them and I don't tolerate them, that is why we have insect bombs to get rid of them.

Alana...one more thing I thought of too, we use a "green" (i.e. not poison, safe for dogs) insect sprayer for around our house and back yard too (every 6 months) they cover all the nasty bugs and fleas (if you ask). This is also a must to as fleas (if you already have them) can lay dormant in your backyard after falling off your pup for about 6 months I think...or more considering it does not freeze for us in Sydney!! I wish it would freeze and kill all the crawlys each year ;) I know when I moved from the US to Sydney I was amazed how many lizards and bugs there were! Ha. So now I always spray, etc. and never saw another one :) I can give you the guys name we use who is the "green" insect sprayer, he is wonderful and it is totally safe for dogs and the environment.

And yeah, I didn't want to do a separate wormer and flea either, but that is what did the job solid so it is worth it! :) Never seen a flea since.

When I used to live in Houston I used the bug bombs too. There the problem was fleas and roaches (double yuck!!!).

Now I rarely have issues, but sometimes I will but some borax on the carpets and vacuum it up. You don't want the dogs to be able to get to the Borax, which is why I vaccuum it up, but I figure it will help kill anything in the carpets that don't get vacuumed up. I haven't needed to do this in ages and am always careful with giving them treats and stuff to eat on the carpets after I've recently done it, but I think it probably does help.

A friend with a flea sensitive dog uses somethign called Flea Busters, I'm sure it's only in the US, but it is made from "Borates" which I believe is just a kind of boric acid. Might be worth researching if there's somethign in your area like that. When I've done this before I just use the laundry kind of borax/boric acid:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_detail.aspx?item_cd=154001&click=5&9gtype=search&9gkw=Flea%20Busters&9gad=6966359699&gclid=CNLcrt7ftK0CFYFx4AodPS8dsg

Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps. I know the bug bombs are no fun & they never really seemed to solve my problems anyway.

Back