• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abbey

How about celebrating that she lived and was loved and happy. Abbey sounds like she was such a little trooper, I don't think she would want you to be sad on her birthday. Maybe go for a walk at one of her favorite places, have cake, get some special treats for your other dogs. Release some balloons into the sky, laugh, have fun and remember the Abbey that enjoyed all those things.

Don't Grieve For Me
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free; I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call; I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day, to laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way; I found that place at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void, then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss; Ah yes, these things, I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow, I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much; good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.
Perhaps my time seems all too brief; don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

Oh Linda, it's such a personal thing....for me, I have just had a quiet time of reflection and looking through pictures. And when we lost my non Cav Nash last Summer, his Birthday I made sure I had a very very large bunch of wild flowers to put on his grave.

Don't feel guilty. You have been grieving her, the beautiful sweet healthy Abbey, for a long, long time......

Remember there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Do what is best for you.

Thank you. Today is Abbey's birthhday and she never even made to 8. I know she is having a great birthday though. I have been looking at her pictures and today was an awful today to be outside--even under tornado watch for awhile. Today I caught myself remembering her in the end and then went nope I don't want to remember that Abbey and backed it up to a much prettier picture in my head. I sure do miss her.

It's very hard I know.
Daisy made it to 5 and we have photographs of her day. Looking back on the photographs,I now realise what a sick little girl she was.Passing the birthday milestone didn't really offer us any more comfort or ease the sense of loss at all.
Looking back on earlier photos and videos,these are the happy memories that I cherish.
I still find myself looking around the garden to see where the three are and find it a bit odd to only have two come through the door.
But it was time for both Abbey and Daisy to be set free.
I know Abbey will be very fondly remembered today and we'll all keep her in our thoughts.
Sins

Thinking of you alot today and wasn't even sure the actual day but knew it was close to 6 months give or take a day or two. I came in here and went figures today is the 6-month mark and funny that Darby is in at the vet getting spayed. Darby is another tri that we have had about 3 months now. I'm doing ok--I still miss Abbey alot and always will and just typing that my eyes get watery. Abbey truly was a very special girl. I hope all that have lost dogs this past year are doing ok. Sins I think about ya.

Hi Linda,
Have been thinking about you and Abbey too this week.
it's been a difficult six months.I'm pleased you have a lovely new addition to the family and hope she brings you every happiness.Holly is well,full of energy and mischief and Ivy is almost all grown up.Abbey and Daisy were two wonderful amazing little cavaliers.I visited the hospital where she was treated recently,with a friend who was having a screening scan done on her cavalier,they remembered her of course..I thought it might be weird, but strangely,it was ok and maybe it's time to move on,if that makes sense.I never expected it to take such a long time to adjust to the loss of a pet,but cavaliers are so very special.
Sins

Linda

You don't know me from Adam, but I wanted to let you know I sat down last night and read your entire blog. I force myslef to read these tragic posts about SM, CM, MVD. I have a cavalier puppy and got him knowing the odds, I want the educate myslef on what to look for and read real stories from dogs and their people living thur this....It reminds me to enjoy every healthy day I have in my life. Please know that your journey with Abbey touched me deeply and I appreciate the blog. I will continue to count my blessings every day I do not see signs of SM in my dog but I like most people on CT will never stop watching. It breaks my heart that our sweet perfect cavaliers are like time bombs, and carry so many awful disorders.

Sending Love,
Melissa

How about celebrating that she lived and was loved and happy. Abbey sounds like she was such a little trooper, I don't think she would want you to be sad on her birthday. Maybe go for a walk at one of her favorite places, have cake, get some special treats for your other dogs. Release some balloons into the sky, laugh, have fun and remember the Abbey that enjoyed all those things.

Don't Grieve For Me
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free; I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call; I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day, to laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way; I found that place at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void, then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss; Ah yes, these things, I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow, I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much; good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.
Perhaps my time seems all too brief; don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

This is a beautiful poem....

Linda....
I am fairly new to the forum..and you don't know me. I too read through your blog. I have to tell you....couldn't hardly finish as the tears were running down my face. It is heartbreaking what you went thru. Abbey sounded like a very special dog. I would just like to say how sorry I am.
I am glad you now have a new addition to give all your love to though !
Our pup is only 8 months old..and after reading a ton of information here on the forum...the threat of SM scares me.
I am hoping and praying that ours will be the exception to all this...but know to stay aware of any signs that he may be ill.
Lord bless you..and I pray your heart heals. As you said..remember the beautiful Abbey you knew before any of her sickness.

Hi Diane and Melissa. I don't come in here much as just no time. Abbey was very special from day #1--she touched everybody she met and as I type this I find my eyes filling with tears which I haven't shed in awhile. It's hard to believe it's been 6 months since she left us. Thank you for letting me know that you have read her blog and it has helped etc. I read stuff like that and it helps knowing her life and both of us have helped others. That would make her smile. Yes we do have a puppy and she just turned 6 months--her nickname is "trouble" lol. She's a firecracker for sure. I don't get paranoid about sm even though obviously I pray I never see it again. I have 3 cavaliers--2 which are older--one 6 years, one 4 and the puppy. So far so good. In regards to being scared sm is hayull. It's an awful deal. It's so hard to watch what it does. I visualize Abbey at various times and I still get angry--guess I always will. I recently was going through files at work and ran across a video and clicked on it and it was Abbey and it was made to send to her neurologist and was like 6 months before we put her down. It was very hard to watch. I pray for all of you that are dealing with this disease and I know CT helped me so much. There is so much support in here which helped me so much. I am sooooooooooooooo thankful I don't need that support anymore. I know some people talk about how it ties you down in regards to every 8 hrs. meds etc. but I never felt that way. I felt like I had a special needs child and that was just the way it was. Abbey deserved all the care she got.

Sins glad you are doing ok. Life goes on. Yes both of them were special. Cavaliers are special and I know many think I'm crazy for getting another but I have always said I loved this breed.

Thanks for writing. Hormones must be crazy or something as I'm pretty emotional writing this. It means ALOT to read your posts.

Linda & Abbey

Last edited:
Back