• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Cavalier ignores me!

nini

Hi all,

My Cavalier (Charlie, tri-colour) is 14 months old and recently he seems to be completely ignoring me when I call him! When he is in the garden or the park he seems so busy wandering and sniffing around that when called it is like he ignores me and pays absolutely no attention!

He doesn't seem to have a problem with his hearing because he definitely hears his dinner and walkies calls!

It is starting to cause problems and would like to get this sorted as soon as possible! Has anyone else experienced the same problem and if so how did they address it!

Thanks in advance,

Anita!

14 months old for a boy is like having a teenager and it is pretty normal for dogs that are previously trained to relapse and loose the plot a little bit but you need to keep him safe forst and formost and if he isn't listening then keep him on a flexi lead or long line so you can ALWAYS get him back if needed and he still gets some freedom.

There are lots of ways of training a good recall and the favourite on the board is probably Ian Dunbar but this is the time that Charlie is testing you and if you give in and let him win then the behaviours will probably stay for life so be firm!

Typical teenager - behave as if they've never had a training lesson in their life! I agree with Karen about keeping him on a long line in the park, but would add: take a pocketful of his very favourite treats with you and from time to time call him to you, insist he comes immediately and make a big fuss and treat when he arrives. Then let him wander off again and repeat after a time - it's important not to connect coming only with being taken back to the car or out of the park to go home. With all dog training, you have to make it worth the dog's while to do what he's asked, either by praise, a game or a treat. He needs to find coming to you more rewarding than an interesting sniff!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I agree with the above advice but would also add try hard to call him only once. If he doesn't respond go and get him and put him on leash. When Max was about five months old he spent three days on leash in our yard because one night he went out and didn't come when I called him. Fear was one reason I stayed consistent because we had a pond in our yard that he didn't know about (the snow had just melted so he was just venturing out a bit further) and I didn't want him falling in. He remembered his recall really well after that though. Whenever we go off leash I call both dogs back and reward them often like Kate suggested. If one of them doesn't come right away (and they have their days where hearing is selective) it is no longer an off leash walk for that dog. I don't make a big deal - just go and collect him and put the leash on then practice more recalls at home.

Thanks folks for the helpful advice, I really appreciate it! I will give it a go and I am sure it will be successful!

Thanks again,

Anita & Charlie!

Back