Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autopsy on Abbey--please read asap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Autopsy on Abbey--please read asap

I wrote Dr. Shores (neuro that did her surgery 3 years ago) wanting to know his opinion of what happened and how he rated the surgery etc. He mentioned that we never did a mri after the surgery and then mentioned that we probably weren't doing any post-mortem work on her. That rang a bell with me--I need to know what happened after the surgery and why she died. This is not a glamorous post at all. I have two other cavaliers and I'm deathly afraid now of what to do if either of them get this disease. She had not been cremated yet so the mortuary has it on hold and I have talked to my vet and we are trying to get ahold of Dr. Shores to figure out what to do. Her vet which has a cavalier I might add feel that this is research and very valuable. I need to know. Am I wrong?
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If an autopsy will give you some relief of all those sad thoughts about what could have been done differently, and how you can help your other cavaliers, it sounds like the right thing to do. Only you can know how it feels. You only have to ask yourself, if you want answers or not, and how you will feel with and without knowing.
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Eowyn

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me and I can afford it, I would do an autopsy.
    kitty

Post Thanks / Like

This is one way that you coud help not just yourself but other Cavaliers and their owners. Vets and even neurologists can always learn more about SM and an autopsy could be helpful to them.

One of the really frustrating things about SM is the wide variety of symptoms it can show. If - which we hope will never happen! - one of your other Cavaliers got SM it could display symptoms that are nothing like Abbey's. You are well-equipped to recognise signs of pain, but try not to be constantly looking out for symptoms like Abbey's - SM doesn't work like that!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Linda,
    I'd suggest going to http://www.cavaliermatters.org/ Toward the end of the book they talk about the Cavalier collection scheme and what they look for when a Cavalier with SM dies. It says to contact Magaret Carter. She might be a great help to either your vet or your neurologist - whoever does the autopsy - about what to look for that would be really helpful for research.I'm sorry you're going through this, but if you can help to further the understanding of this horrible disease, then you'll know that even more good will have come out of sweet little Abbey's life.

We're all here for you. You know that. Hugs and kisses for you and George too.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Abbey wouldn't be able to contribute towards the collection schemes as they need the body within 24 hours of their passing as the syrinx collapses very quickly once the blood stops pumping. But there are other studies at other research facilities I'm sure. Only you can make this decision but if it were me I wouldn't do it unless I was sure my dog would be useful to someone.

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linderbelle View Post
    I wrote Dr. Shores (neuro that did her surgery 3 years ago) wanting to know his opinion of what happened and how he rated the surgery etc. He mentioned that we never did a mri after the surgery and then mentioned that we probably weren't doing any post-mortem work on her. That rang a bell with me--I need to know what happened after the surgery and why she died. This is not a glamorous post at all. I have two other cavaliers and I'm deathly afraid now of what to do if either of them get this disease. She had not been cremated yet so the mortuary has it on hold and I have talked to my vet and we are trying to get ahold of Dr. Shores to figure out what to do. Her vet which has a cavalier I might add feel that this is research and very valuable. I need to know. Am I wrong?
    Hello Linda,

I understand why you feel you need to know what happened, and for that information to help research, but don't be too disappointed if that turns out not to be possible.

For the last four years I have organised a scheme that helps owners who want to volunteer their cavaliers' bodies for post mortem and cell tissue donation. (The cavalier is individually cremated and their ashes are returned to the owner )

I don't want to upset you more than you are at this time but these arrangements really need to be in place at the time the cavalier dies

I have been told it is difficult to confirm SM at an autopsy. The syrinx collapses and cannot be easily identified, so tissue needs to be taken & stained for forensic tests. The longer the little dog has been dead the harder it is to get reliable results, especially if the body has been put in the freezer.

I do want you get the answers you need, but please don't get your hopes up too high only to be disappointed if it does not happen.

It is hard to live with uncertainty but very often that is all we are left with.

You are in my thoughts.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Linda,

I thought about this also when I wanted to do something with Ella to contribute. Abbey has already contributed a lot with her story and touching others.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

calgon take me away. I really can't take much more without losing it. Dr. Shores and my vet have communicated and Shores told him what to do and what to send to UGA for testing. All I can do at this point is trust the two of them. My vet I know cared very deeply about Abbey. When he walked in the room he said I sure don't want to do this one. I'm crying again. What else is new. I miss her so much. I just know I really do love ths breed and for myself also I'd really like to know what happened after the surgery. All we can do is try. It's so dang unfair--she was soooooo young. All we can do is try. I may never get the answers I need to know but I can say I gave it my darnest. Oh guys the house is so dayum empty without her and I have 3 other dogs!!!! I can't even see the screen.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

My heart is breaking for you, and all of us who have these beautiful dogs with this terrible, terrible disease, and will most likely be making the same heart-wrenching decisions you have had to make. You are very courageous, and an inspiration I have followed Abby's story from the beginning, and there is no one who loved their cavalier more. You did everything possible for her. She was blessed to have had you.