• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella's in the Bathroom.

Alana

Is it okay for a pup to choose it's own 'safe place'? I had an exercise pen set up with water, toys etc. This is where she would go to sleep. She cried for an hour then it gradually reduced over the weeks. She would wake up in the night about 3 times and I would take her to the potty as she wouldn't go on the indoor potty (she will go on pads though). A few times she has taken herself to our bathroom for a sleep during the day. One day I closed the door while she was resting in there so I could vacuum (she is not a fan of the vacuum cleaner) and she didn't cry. She can now get out of her exercise pen by herself so I was putting her in her crate for bed. It then went to 4-5 times a night she would cry to go out. So last night I put her in the bathroom with her puppy pads, bowl, sleeping mat and some toys and she didn't cry once, nor did she go potty. I took her out this morning and she went potty straight away. Is it okay to let her have this spot?

I don't mind at all. It is a big bathroom, plus if she does have a potty accident it is much easier to clean tiles than a pee on the carpet.

Sounds to me that she may be feeling a bit overwhelmed by being in the main part of the house and has worked out (clever pup!) that the bathroom is usually a quiet place for a retreat. You may find that as she grows in confidence she will have less need of her bathroom retreat - though as you say it has definite advantages as a house-training area!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back