Thread: Puppy to adult hair transition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppy to adult hair transition

I got Sparky when he was a few months old and so I don't know if he went through this. He is not a big shedder. Jovie, is just 10 weeks old and has suddenly started shedding like CRAZY. When you touch her, you can just see dozens of hairs coming off. I don't know if this is just her puppy hairs releasing, or if it is a diet deficiency issue. She is eating Silkie Balls raw, and kibble supplementing. Any ideas would be useful, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry -- All puppies are different and some can lose their hair (e.g., blow their coat) at a younger age and others will never go through a really dramatic transition. Generally you don't see any adult coat coming in until well after 6 months or so–from years of doing rescue with dogs, the appearance of an adult coat is one of the ways in which we try to get an approximate age on puppies and this really doesn't usually start to happen til somewhere up around 7-9 months in most dogs. But puppies might shed their coat earlier for any number of reasons. It may just be that it is warm in the house if there's heating on, or outside if you are in part of the world that is going into summer right now.

As long as there is other hair beneath the lost hair, I wouldn't worry but if you are seeing patches of bare skin, I would get your puppy into the vet. That type of hair loss might be due to mange or other skin problems.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your input, Karlin! I am very reassured! I keep seeing fluffy puppy pictures and worrying, but as you mentioned, she DOES have fur (just very short and fine), with some longer, more wirey ones coming in. It is pretty warm here, she's usually kept in temps around 70-73, sometimes lower if she has to potty in the middle of the night, lol.