• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy to adult hair transition

HelenParr

I got Sparky when he was a few months old and so I don't know if he went through this. He is not a big shedder. Jovie, is just 10 weeks old and has suddenly started shedding like CRAZY. When you touch her, you can just see dozens of hairs coming off. I don't know if this is just her puppy hairs releasing, or if it is a diet deficiency issue. She is eating Silkie Balls raw, and kibble supplementing. Any ideas would be useful, thank you!

I wouldn't worry -- All puppies are different and some can lose their hair (e.g., blow their coat) at a younger age and others will never go through a really dramatic transition. Generally you don't see any adult coat coming in until well after 6 months or so–from years of doing rescue with dogs, the appearance of an adult coat is one of the ways in which we try to get an approximate age on puppies and this really doesn't usually start to happen til somewhere up around 7-9 months in most dogs. But puppies might shed their coat earlier for any number of reasons. It may just be that it is warm in the house if there's heating on, or outside if you are in part of the world that is going into summer right now.

As long as there is other hair beneath the lost hair, I wouldn't worry but if you are seeing patches of bare skin, I would get your puppy into the vet. That type of hair loss might be due to mange or other skin problems.

Thank you so much for your input, Karlin! :D I am very reassured! I keep seeing fluffy puppy pictures and worrying, but as you mentioned, she DOES have fur (just very short and fine), with some longer, more wirey ones coming in. It is pretty warm here, she's usually kept in temps around 70-73, sometimes lower if she has to potty in the middle of the night, lol.

Back