• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello, we're new!

barnacles

Hi everyone!

I have just joined this board having got my very first cavalier on 1st Jan. I have been reading up on cavaliers for many years having helped my in laws research the breed when they wanted a puppy. The research paid off and they have had their blenheim boy for 8 years now with no heart murmur and the mildest of dry eye, the breeder has also been MRIing dogs for a few years now and we are relieved that their dogs are coming back with good grades. I had saved up for one of their puppies but my car had an unexpectadly horrendous bill and all the money I had saved up was spent :(

We started looking for a rescue dog of any kind with no luck, not particuarly a cavalier but certainly a small dog and not a staffy or a JRT! I decided that I would make it my new years resolution to find our perfect dog. So at about 7am on new years day I did a search and found an ad on gumtree (don't shoot me) that had been posted just a few minutes before, for a 3yo CKCS, housetrained, good with kids, being left for long periods and needing a new home and it was just in the next town!! So off we went and were met with the most delightful blenheim boy who sat next to my feet the minute I walked in the house and never took his eyes off me the whole time I was there. He was (and still is) extremely overweight at 12.8kg, his coat was in very poor condition but he was begging me to take him. My mind raced with all the conditions he could have but the family were so disinterested in him, not a tear was shed when I left the house with him a few minutes later, by the family or the dog. He came with a bumper bag of Bakers and a Dog Lovers of GB "pedigree" whatever one of those is and his mother wasn't KC reg, I did manage to track down his breeder but he is not interested in hearing how he is.

With much trepidation, I took him to the vet, expecting the worst and fearing heart and eye problems but I am delighted to say that his heart is perfect at the moment and apart from a small fat deposit, his eyes are looking good too. So he was promptly insured, chipped and started vaccs and is going back next week for a dental and castration. He is on a strict diet and exercise regieme and is thoroughly enjoying going for walks, he is fantastic in the house, with my children, other dogs when off lead, not so good on the lead or with cats but he is learning so quickly, he is the brightest cav I have met so far!!

I know I took a huge gamble with him and I could have been landed with any kind of horrendous vet bill but a beautiful and uncastrated cavalier is just asking to be taken by the wrong kind of person with the wrong kind of motives, his owner was so unconcerned with where he went, I was literally there 10 minutes before she handed him over :( She had only had him 9 months, this is his 4th home if you include the breeder. This is also his last home, I am hopelessly in love and he is such a pleasure to have around, could not have asked for a better dog!

407966_10150450799786086_522276085_9232530_266009471_n.jpg

387232_10150450798206086_522276085_9232511_1620707862_n.jpg

395870_10150451370686086_522276085_9236597_1147663589_n.jpg

397341_10150456799786086_522276085_9267973_830490773_n.jpg

387919_10150451022246086_522276085_9234026_1780179640_n.jpg

Thank you for reading and I look forward to getting to know you all and your dogs!!

What a lucky boy to have found you. It sounds like you are perfect for each other. He looks very sweet!

He is adorable and I hope you have a long and happy life together. Welcome to the board.
What have you called him? He has a lovely face.

What a gorgeous boy, it was his lucky day! Here's to many happy healthy years! :eek:

He was very lucky to have found you. He is a real sweety and getting himm vet checked and insured straight away is a good idea. How old is he? Hope you have many happy years.

What a dear! I'm sure you are so happy to have found him. What have you named him? Keep us updated and welcome to the world of Cavaliers!

Thank you so much everyone, vet couldn't age him at the moment because he has such poor teeth (hence the dental) but if his previous owner is correct then he is about 2/3 years old. He didn't respond to his previous name so he has been renamed Captain Barnacles (a character from a childrens programme in the UK), Barney for short!!

he is lovely and you were both lucky to find each other. wishing you lots and lots of happy days together!

What a lovely looking chap. He's very lucky to have found his forever home. I pray you'll have many many health happy years with him. You certainly took a gamble as you said but it would have been impossible to resist that face once you'd met him.

You are both very lucky and I think it was meant to be. It sounds like he was ignored by everyone! I don't understand breeders who don't care about what happens to the dogs! I am so happy for you both!

icon_welcome
Yes, you did take a big gamble, but what a lucky dog Barney is that you did. It sounds as if it was love at first sight for both of you.

He is certainly a very handsome boy.

I will look forward to hearing how he gets on when the time comes for the neutering and the dental. ( he may not feel quite so lucky for a day or so )

Back