• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Girl or boy?

Kim N

Ok so most of you know I am in search of my new baby. I have been looking for breeders who do all the proper testing and with a little help have found one that looks great and has a litter right now! As exciting as that is there will only be one left after the puppies reserved for show come out. They won't be sure until it is time for the puppy to go which one it will be so I would get what is left with no real choice. Not terrible really since they really all are gorgeous.

Here's my thing. It will be a boy and I really had my heart set on a girl. Not for any real reason other than I already have a spayed girl in the house and we just like girly things. Silly, I know. I do have other things where boys are concerned like boys getting pee on the hair and things but nothing that really would keep me from going with one.

I am worried that if I let this one boy go then there is no telling when I will find the girl I am after from the type of breeder I want. Health is the most important thing in the end. This breeder has testing on not only parents but grandparents, so I couldn't ask for much better really than that.

So, if I could get any and all input on the differences in your boys from your girls if you have had both or just what you like about your girls or boys I would be really grateful.

I've only had girls so can't comment on any differences.
If you're looking for a girl you might have a long wait.I'm not saying you won't get one,but with a breeder having invested a lot in health testing,they will be more likely to keep back bitches to run on, or let them go to like minded breeders who want a bitch who may produce a litter for them in the future.
Having said that,if you plan to take the boy,ideally you should meet the breeder and see if they're agreeable to you having him.
Also,try and spend a bit of time playing with the puppy and see if you bond with him.
Explore other options too,there may be other breeders who may be able to let you have a girl,so don't settle too soon.
Sins

They are both equally charming :D but a lot of longtime cavalier owners, and a lot of breeders, will say they prefer males (me included). These are small differences but I like the subtleties of those differences; others would prefer females for the same reasons. I have never really understood why people have a thing about female dogs or cats in preference to males! All else being equal males of both species tend to be more affectionate and sweet-natured; females slightly more aloof (this is quite general across many species, and recognised by trainers/behaviourists/zoologists!). I love both males and females, and currently have two of both, but given the choice would go for a male anytime as a preference.

The breed as a whole is very sweet and loving so I think most people will agree that it really makes very little difference, all in all. But I do prefer the personalities of the boys and also find they are a lot less smelly -- the girls tend to get urine on their 'skirt' (long hair on legs) and on their belly and this is particularly true of smaller heavy-coated individuals. Every time they squat to go, they dip into the puddle of urine and need to be rinsed off regularly. It's far more of a hygiene issue than with the boys where one very occasionally will spritz his front leg hair (the other never ever pees on himself and is very clean and fastidious).

If the opportunity is there for a male, I'd certainly jump at it unless you really feel you want to wait for a female. They always involve a longer wait from good breeders because females are more valuable to them to hang on to for show/breeding for their own programmes, and because so many people think they want females (again as I have said for reasons I have never understood -- I think a lot of people have a lot of totally wrong ideas about males and maybe base them on poorly trained, rudely mannered intact males?). But at the same time -- don't make a choice you will regret for any reason when this will be your companion for a decade!

Many good breeders BTW make the choice of which dog to offer to which home and do not give puppy buyers a choice. I think this is often a good idea -- a lot of people 'pick the puppy that chose me' when this is inevitably just the most lively puppy in the litter and exactly the wrong personality for a buyer wanting a less demanding dog. A quieter shy dog would not suit a robust young family environment either. A good breeder should want to have a say in where his or her puppies go and are best placed to help make an informed decision. If I were breeding I do not think I'd ever simply let people pick any puppy they wanted unless I really knew the individual, the home, and knew the puppy would fit. :) From doing cavalier rescue for several years, I cannot tell you how many dogs come into rescue because people selected the wrong personality of individual cavalier for their circumstances.

I have a girl and a boy and they are very different but just as lovable!

My little man makes me laugh EVERY day with out fail and loves nothing more than to curl up on my lap and sleep! Apart from the pee stained feet and the disgusting poo rolling he is perfect!

Having an older bitch and a younger dog is actually a good scenario to have= Ruby rules my roost and Charlie is very happy to sit back and let her- he couldnt care less- there is no competition between them and it makes for a calm and happy house!

I have gone and found some other threads after I posted this one and found lots. I feel stupid now for even worrying about it.

I did have it in my mind that a boy would not be as clean as far pee goes but I see now that doesn't really stand true and in my mind good breeding was always top on my list first and foremost.

I have emailed the breeder and told her I would like to meet them so we'll see what happens. :eek:

I bet you can’t wait. I would be so exited. Hope you don’t have to go too far.

I have two girls and a boy and I find my boy far more affectionate then the girls. He never leaves my site the girls are more daddy’s girls. He is also far better at concentrating and training.

Hi

Having four girls that's all I can comment about and the fact we didn't want any leg cocking in the house .Good luck in your search.

Thanks Alana. If all goes well he will be ready at the end of this month! :D
Trying not to get too excited Sabby, as it's still too early to tell anything. I emailed her last night and haven't had an email back yet and if I even get past that point still need to meet and see health certs and all. I do keep going back to see the photos and there is one little boy that just tugs at me. lol

Keeping my fingers crossed and need to go and do something else to occupy my mind!

Brian I have never had leg cocking in the house :lol: but have had on and off girls squatting and peeing -- mainly Tansy who was a puppy farm girl and thus never likely to be fully reliable. It is simply basic housetraining for either males or females, and neutering helps as well. Most trainers and breeders will say it is actually females that are slightly harder to housetrain. It's a lot easier to see the boys beginning to try and go than it is that rapid fire squat and go thus females tend to take longer to housetrain.

Differences are really minor though -- and I wouldn't give up any of mine either way. :lol: But when time comes one day to add a new puppy -- my choice would be a new male.

I prefer females of some very large breeds though as they drool less! :D

However watch this space -- partner and I will be adding a big doglet to the gang this year and will likely be a boy this time around; a girl (of a different type and probably a rescue in the breed) will come at some later point. Partner has fallen for two big breeds to join our Alsatian, cavaliers and cats over time.

Kim very best of luck. I do not think you will regret either a male or a female and beware, if you visit a cavalier puppy you will be unlikely to walk away! :lol:

I know when I had to wait to get Bella the days went so slow. Fingers crossed for you! All of your research and preparation will demonstrate to the breeder that you are a responsible person who will take good care of their puppy.

Hello Karlin

I cannot argue with as I haven't caught Luke at it yet and theres no way I am admitting to anything, and I totally agree with your comment,

"it is actually females that are slightly harder to housetrain" and I had better not say anymore.

When we decided to get a dog 8 years ago, I had it in my head that I really wanted a female, but the breeder only had males left - Trapper, so we got him. Then, 5 years ago, I still wanted a female, and again, only a boy, Bosco, was available, so we took him as well.
I think deep down, I just wanted female company, due to having two sons, so I'm even more outnumbered nowh*lp

Just to offer another point of view (and hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers) -- I too was set on a girl Cavalier when I started my search. I specifically wanted a girl tricolor. My reason for wanting a girl was because I wanted to deck her out in all things pink and frilly - pink harnesses, coats, sweaters, blankets - you name it. :) It took about 3 months before I found a breeder I liked who actually had a tri girl. I was ALMOST at the point of settling for a tri boy or Blenheim girl- figuring I could find cute brown or aqua items for a boy puppy.

Long story short - my breeder told me that I should get want I want and not settle. So, I waited and got my tri girl, and she has lots of pink things - and I couldn't be happier.

Our babies are a big investment, so my feeling is to go with what you truly want if you really have a preference.

Ok so most of you know I am in search of my new baby. I have been looking for breeders who do all the proper testing and with a little help have found one that looks great and has a litter right now! As exciting as that is there will only be one left after the puppies reserved for show come out. They won't be sure until it is time for the puppy to go which one it will be so I would get what is left with no real choice. Not terrible really since they really all are gorgeous.

Here's my thing. It will be a boy and I really had my heart set on a girl. Not for any real reason other than I already have a spayed girl in the house and we just like girly things. Silly, I know. I do have other things where boys are concerned like boys getting pee on the hair and things but nothing that really would keep me from going with one.

I am worried that if I let this one boy go then there is no telling when I will find the girl I am after from the type of breeder I want. Health is the most important thing in the end. This breeder has testing on not only parents but grandparents, so I couldn't ask for much better really than that.

So, if I could get any and all input on the differences in your boys from your girls if you have had both or just what you like about your girls or boys I would be really grateful.

I have an adorable female cav, she has been hard to house train, but we're getting there now that she is just over a year old. My male maltese shihtzu understood what was required within a few weeks inspite of a few accidents. The difference in breed may be the reason for the different training experience, but Annie is so loveable and adorable that it really isnt an issue. We just deal with it, and have done a lot of cleaning and sanitising :)

Back