Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should a puppy start transitioning over to adult food?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default When should a puppy start transitioning over to adult food?

From what I gather, it's around 12 months, but is that for all breeds?

Post Thanks / Like

We did 12 months for Brooky...my vet said 11-12 months

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Brooky's mum, muchly appreciated.
    I think Jessie will look forward to being on an adult diet, rather than most brands being Chicken. There is much more variety.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh definitely! I loved having more choices once we hit 12 months...and Brooky did too no doubt

Post Thanks / Like

Even though Bailey is only 5 1/2 months old, my vet had us start moving him over to adult food. She wanted us to get him off puppy food to prevent him from getting fat after he's neutered, which we plan to schedule some time this summer once he's closer to a year old. I don't think she expected the transition to occur so quickly, but he LOVES the adult food. Of course, we started by mixing a small bit with his puppy food, and he would pick out the adult food and turn his nose up on his puppy food. According to my vet, it's fine if he stays on the adult food now since it's not upsetting his tummy and is probably more nutritious than the puppy brand he had been eating from the breeder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A lot of breeders and nutritionists do not feel it is necessary to feed puppy food -- that it is basically a marketing ploy. Some feel it pushes them to grow too fast and it is definitely not recommended for giant breed puppies for this reason. Whatever the case, I never fed puppy food to any of mine. If you think about it, wild canids do not get a different type of food when they are pups, after weaning, so am not sure why puppies would need different nutrition (however it is a big market for pet food companies!). You'll note that puppy food is often also marketed for pregnant/whelping dams because it has higher levels of nutrients. For that reason alone I don't think I would feed it to anything but an underweight and undernourished puppy that needs building up (that would be the approach of most rescues I know -- they don't give puppy food either unless pups have a problem). I don't think feeding it does any great harm for cavaliers but neither does it likely have any significant benefit. But if you like feeding it and feel it has benefits, it's a personal choice! I would definitely not feed puppy food past 6 months myself -- it is a high level of extra nutrients and several breeders I trust recommend not feeding puppy foods. But then there are other people (and vets) who do.

PS I don't give kitten food to kittens either.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with what Karlin said.

I fed Cadence puppy food until he was 5 months old and then he was switched to ALS (all life stages). Lyra was never on puppy food. Always either adult food or ALS foods. I honestly don't see any difference at all! Puppy food sometimes have too much fats for my liking.

Post Thanks / Like

I switched both of my dogs over at 6 months of age. I'm pretty sure there is a junior JWB food as well but we went straight to adult.
    Mum to Izzie and George

Post Thanks / Like

We got Candy at 10 months old, and she was being fed Bakers adult food. We changed her to a different adult food, as I didn't feel she needed puppy food at that age.

Post Thanks / Like

Both my breeder and my vet recommend us changing Rosie to adult food once she is 6 months old, which is also what the food manufacturers often recommend. I haven't looked at what Fish4dogs recommend, but the other two were on JWB as puppies and changed over with no problems at 6 months.