• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What causes a jet black nose to turn uniformly a faded lighter brown color?

Hi to all you may have some helpful advice. I am new to this board but not new to Cavaliers. I have two lovely and healthy Blenheims, a 3 year old male and a 8 month old female. There are no current health issues with either one of them and are a very active, entertaining pair. Needless to say, they are truely loved by all and are very much an important part of our family .

Causes for a jet black nose to turn a uniformly faded brown color ? addendum

I apologize as my message was accidentally sent without being completed.

I am new to this board but not new to Cavaliers. I currently own 2 Blenheims, a 3 year old male and a 8 month old female. Both are healthy, active and currently do not have any current health issues. They receive great up to date veterinary care. Our dogs are a very important to our family and are dearly loved by all. I am always looking into ways to improve on my care for them.

Can anyone please answer this question/concern regarding the causes or factors that cause a jet black nose to turn a uniformly faded brown color ? Is this something inherent to Blenheims or is there something deficient in their diet to cause this ? My male 3 year old has a nose that is now a faded light brown and now I am noticing my 8 month old puppy nose is ever so slightly beginning to fade as well. What is causing this ? Is there something I can do to prevent this ? ? change in diet ?

I currently am feeding my 3 year old Wellness Super 5 Mix ( 1 cup/day) with a Nuvet Plus multivitamen. I rotate the flavors with each new bag. The puppy is fed Wellness Super 5 Mix Puppy food ( 1 cup/day). They both have good weight and healthy coats. I keep them more on the slim side. They both have good/normal bowel habits. Great appetites. I use stainless steel feed bowls . Our lawns are fertilizer/pesticide free.

I am very open to suggestions and welcome your input. Has their diet has been insufficient in some way, perhaps causing this fading nose color ? I am considering a gradual food change for both as I want make improvements in their nutrition. I would like to feed a high quality kibble and supplement with additional fruits and vegetables. A better vitamin supplement, if needed.

I am considering a rotation diet with Acana ( or Orijen ) and Taste of the Wild Ocean (salmon) Adult Formula. I would also like to improve, if needed, their vitamin supplement . Any suggestions or improvements to this diet plan ? I feel I need some good direction here.

Thank you so much for any advice .

Hi and welcome. I merged your two posts. :)

The faded nose is often called a dudley or putty nose. Some say they can turn paler in winter then darken again in summer. But some blenheims (in particular, also rubies I think) just go this colour after time, either due to genetics, age... or? It isn't due to diet and there's nothing you can do about it. It is considered a fault when showing but is only a very minor cosmetic issue and of no real consequence! :) Others might have some comments too with more information/ideas.

Lots of breeds have this happen in some dogs.

Some health issues can cause this too but seems unlikely in your case as it is reasonably common. One of my blenheims had this happen as he got older too.

Health issues: http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-vet-library/vetqa/articlediscolorationqa.aspx

Are you following the washing instructions that are printed inside the ear? LOL

Actually it happens every Winter here in North America. Cooper"s nose gets pinkish then returns to black in the summer....I was concerned the first year it happened.
BLACK
Untitled-1.jpg

PICKISH
NOSE001.jpg

Last edited:
Madison, my ruby's nose has turned the putty color. She is eight years old now and it's been this way for years. Couldn't tell you when it changed though, but it doesn't change color with the seasons like Cooper's does. I just fiigured it was a peculiar quirk of hers.

Thanks for your reply. I live in North Americia as well, Ohio. Your Copper is very lovely ! Your pictures are helpful. Yes....this is what I am seeing with my three year old male, but perhaps even more so . I remember noticing the change at 1 year of age. Come summers, his pigment pretty much stays the same ( faded pinkish brown ) and maybe ever so slightly darkens. Perhaps is this a functions of lack of sunshine during the winter months ? The young female puppy is just beginning to show signs of color change and of course, am looking for ways to prevent this. She is hopefully a show prospect, if all goes well. I really feel improved nutrition for her is especially interesting to me and important.

Just for learning and planning for improved nutrition overall, do you have any comments regarding my prospective feed changes for the both of them ? again, I am open to all advice. Thanks !

lol.....I do wish they came with care instructions inside their ear !

We have turned cavaliers' brown noses to black with supplements, including kelp. Perhaps your two need to have their diet supplemented.

Thank you Rod for responding. I feel I can make improvements with their nutrition overall, and feel I struggle in knowing the best approach for them. I am very interested in hearing more about what you have to say. I need to be educated by those more experienced . Thank you . I am greatful.

Back