• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad service? Irresponsible breeder? What would you do?

Alana

Okay, over a month ago I contacted my breeder via email to give a progress report on Bella and informed them that she had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis but is doing well now etc. I sent pics and all and I received no reply. I am quite ticked off! You would think I would get a thank you or a "glad to hear she is doing well" but nothing. I wanted to get in contact with him about Bella's scratching and possible SM symptoms. Now I am worried because the dogs that were there when I went to meet Bella were healthy and showed no signs of SM but they might not be the actual dogs who are the parents. How do I know that a health check certificate is not a forgery? These were things I did not check and I don't have copies I was only shown them. He said he would send me copies when his photocopier was working but all I have received from him was an email on puppy care. I think he is a puppy farmer disguised as a responsible breeder. I am so angry at myself! I was so excited about Bella that I was stupid! When I got Bella he made out that he doesn't breed that often. I checked the site and he had Bella's litter, (early December) another on in late December, another one in mid Jan and another in mid march. I was so naive.

I don't blame you for feeling that way, it's definitely inconsiderate, but he may have valid reasons. If you have his phone number, ring him, if you need to ask further questions. Also check this site, just for curiosity's sake, I looked up Belle's ancestors and this came up, it's an international voluntary listing of MRI dogs and the owners names, etc. You'll need her pedigree papers to look them up though.
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/mri/view_all_mri.php?s=600&np=27&sort=ond
you can look it up by country, just click on 'country' at the end of the list.
I hope this is ok to post. Good Luck

I don't blame you for being angry. I know my Abbey came from a place like you are saying and I was stupid but you know what her neuro told me I saved her and we did. Abbey had a hard life dealing with sm BUT she had a very good life. She was our daughter and we loved her so much and she knew how much she was loved. After I figured out that she had sm (you might read our blog to read ou story) I sometimes thought of her as my handicapped child as she was misdiagnosed for 5 years and had neuro damage that would never be reversed. I wouldn't trade one day with her. I was hooked and very much in love the first day I got Abbey. She had a seizure approximately two weeks after we got her and the "I can't call these people breeder" would have taken her back. I couldn't bring her back. If my two-legged children had this disease would I bring them back?

These dogs are so loving and sm is a horrible disease BUT just cheerish every day you have and you wll never ever be sorry for bringing her to your home.

There is absolutely no way I would take her back. I think I may be paranoid, sometimes I am in denial. When I see my parents dog scratch like Bella does I think "Pffft see! All dogs do it" the we will be in the middle of playing and she will scratch like mad at her face, or shoulders or armpit area. I will take a video of it to post on here and get some opinions. She does have a dandruff like flakiness on her back which is why I have switched to raw incase it is an allergy. I will give it a month and I will contact the breeder today.

It would be nice if breeders answered every letter we sent them with news of our dog, but to be honest, although it can be dangerous gastro-enteritis is not unusual, and do you really expect someone who may be a busy person (aren't we all!) to sit down and write back to you every time your dog (and many other dogs bred by him) has a not uncommon illness? Don't jump to conclusions - he may be ill himself, or busy rearing a litter (which for the first few weeks seems to be a 24/7 job!), or have any number of valid reasons for not instantly sitting down and answering your letter. And don't panic or beat yourself up. Even if he is a puppy farmer, that doesn't mean Bella is bound to have health problems - it just increases the possibility a bit. My puppy farm rescue, Aled, does have a grade 3 heart murmur, but it hasn't increased for 2 years and he is a very fit Cavalier who never goes to the vets - unlike Oliver, who came from a good small-scale breeder and has both a grade 2 murmur (not bad for 10.5 years) and SM!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back