Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: d you cut your cavs hair?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what is meant by a 'cottony' coat, does anyone have a picture to demonstrate? I 'think' Barney has been clipped over his back and body but not under his tummy or his feathers, he does look a bit strange!!

Post Thanks / Like

What I mean by a cottony coat is that along his sides Aled has hairs that grow much longer than the others, they are wispy, not shiny, almost entirely white, and they make him look very unkempt and messy. Common with dogs that are neutered - don't know if it also happens with spayed bitches, it certainly didn't with the only spayed Cavalier I've ever owned. Can't help with a photo because I've recently tidied him up!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I trim my dog's feathers around their paws and also their ears when they get a bit too long. This is purely because they're in the mud and running about so many they get them a little too dirty I think they look lovely after a trim, like puppies again!
    Mum to Izzie and George

Post Thanks / Like

I havnt been on here for awhile so Hi everyone...yes I trim feet legs and rear end. I don't show Star so don't see the point in maintaining a longer coat . WEnt for a walk today and he ran through some weeds and picked up a host of little sticky things..took an age to remove them all. So I will continue to do a tidy trim..or at least the Groomers will. I wouldn't attempt it myself...lol
    My little dog ..a heartbeat at my feet. Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

Before I decided to show Lyra, I constantly kept her feet and potty areas trimmed. Her feet picks up lots of icky stuff on walks so they need to be cleaned after EVERY single walk... her potty areas too! It's such a pain to keep her fur untrimmed for showing.

When we're done with the shows I'm going back to trimming her feet and potty areas. I'll probably invest in a snood for walks once her ear feathering gets too long.

Post Thanks / Like

my groomer clippered Tilly all over her body! He admited he never listened to what I told him, her spots have gone back to puppy pale, her coat doesnt seem as smooth and is certainly not shiny. This was only 6ish weeks ago if that so just waiting for it to grow back and hope it returns to normal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I allow my groomer to trim my dogs feathers and slippers - they would probably be six inches long if I didn't. Feathers usually are at least 4 inches every time we go to the groomer! It seems to grow and grow and grow ...

My dogs have relatively short hair on their backs, so we don't touch that. I wouldn't anyway for fear it would grow back funny. I don't allow the groomer to touch ears either, they wear snoods while they eat so the ears are in pretty good shape and still even.

What I insist on is a sanitary cut as otherwise my boys get too much urine in their coats and bathing too often. With their sanitary trims this is not an issue. Also, after a recent diarrhea episode I ask the groomer to trim the back feathering on their bottoms really short so nothing gets stuck there if we have another episode.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I give my Cav a puppy cut - her ears and paws are all trimmed up, and then thinning on the legs and tail. I live in Seattle and the majority of the time it's very wet and rainy, so it's just easier to keep her fur short! I think she looks adorable with her short fur - but I also love the "natural" look.

Post Thanks / Like

Bentley still has shorter fur for a cav, at only 11 months, I just tell the groomer not to trim anything off of him aside from his sanitary area. I am thinking of doing it myself though from now on, they do not do his feet right,they always cut them super short, I personally love his shaggy toes.. (they are growing out again now cause he was at the groomers two weeks ago) Do you have to take them to a groomers? or can you DIY?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I don't allow the groomer to touch ears either, they wear snoods while they eat so the ears are in pretty good shape and still even.
    This is a great idea!I need to get a snood, I have the groomer trim in his ears to keep him from getting ear infections.. but it thinned them out a little which was a bit disappointing.. they were so long and full before. We go to a VERY reputable groomer, they really are a lovely place but I would really love to find a groomer that specializes in cavaliers.