• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty Issues

Adelya21

So our baby is 8 months. every time he goes number 1 he ends up spraying his front paws really badly. are we the only one?? we end up having to either wash his paws or wiping them down. this started happening recently. he doest lift his legs when he goes. I cut the hair around that area lolso I thought maybe its bec of that?

Nope you're not the only one. I would imagine most of us with boys have this problem too. It gets to the point where the feathers on Skippy's front right paw are permanently stained a shade of yellow. Also, if your boy has been neutered or will be neutered, he should start peeing with a leg up at some point.

thats probably the issue. we dont plan on neutering him until he is about 2.
Nope you're not the only one. I would imagine most of us with boys have this problem too. It gets to the point where the feathers on Skippy's front right paw are permanently stained a shade of yellow. Also, if your boy has been neutered or will be neutered, he should start peeing with a leg up at some point.

My little guy has the same problem. However, he has gotten better since he was neutered a couple weeks ago (he is 7 months). He just started lifting his leg literally the morning after he was neutered! However, he still sometimes gets urine on his front paws and underbelly, especially when he is lazy and sleepy first thing in the morning. My husband and I tried shaving his belly, but that just made more urine get on his front paws. We also have used a washcloth with warm water for each time after he goes pee. This works but gets stinky by the end of the week, even with rinsing the cloth! The best thing we have found and now use is Nature's Miracle Pet Wipes, which we order from Amazon. We use it any time he gets any urine on his paws and underbelly (which still is a few times a week). The wipes are very mild, and have not irritated his skin at all over the month we have been using them so far. We also bathe just his belly and feet once a week or so, depending how much he needs it (basically when the fur gets to be an icky yellow). Hope that helps!

Why wait to neuter til age 2? There are all sorts of reasons why there's no point to wait -- one being that waiting reduces the chance that a neuter at 9-12 months will stop unwanted behaviours which by 2 years will be well-ingrained and will not change.

No one on this board should be planning on breeding their cavalier of course :) (not least because the board is intended for pet owners who understand or want to understand better the serious health issues in the breed, which means no amateur breeding -- and responsible breeders have other places to go to discuss breeding).

I would hope membership and activity here will make every person realise why -- unless they someday will take the future survival of this breed deeply to heart and will be mentored by a health-focused, responsible breeder who does full testing including MRI scans and cardio checks and follows the MVD and SM breeding protocols.

I really do not ever want to see the prospect of at-home backyard breeding, or breeding for profit, or 'to have one litter', or 'for my children to enjoy new puppies" being considered as reasons to not neuter. :(

And I will remove members who appear to doing so (for reasons why, members should read the 'Getting Started' section and threads on health issues, especially SM and MVD. No one here should ever be willing to condemn this breed to an ever shorter and more pain-filled life -- which home breeding, and not following breeding protocols and testing protocols, ensures :x).

Separate to the above issues -- some dogs will always spray their paws. Unneutered males will have increasingly stinky urine as they ermerge into adolescence and adulthood. Cutting the hair short around the penis almost always seems to worsen the problem and make them spray -- it will be several months for this hair to regrow.

Its a personal choice. I have read different views on waiting until a dog is mature so that he can develop fully before he is neutered.
Unless you plan on breeding him, I see no reason to wait until he is 2 years old. Neuter him now.

Like I mentioned already it is a personal choice. I want him to develop into an adult before I remove his primary hormonal source. I dont breed. There are no good reasons that I found which warrant neutering before 1-2. other people may have different opinions but thats my decision. He doesnt have bad behavior nor does he mark at home. he did a few times but now he stopped. Here is one personal opinion article i found and there are plenty more that support waiting. http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/dogdish/2010/09/28/when-to-spayneuter-your-dog/#axzz1jfidyWf5 Unless I need to do it bec my dog will be around unspayed females I dont see why I need to neuter him now.
Why wait to neuter til age 2? There are all sorts of reasons why there's no point to wait -- one being that waiting reduces the chance that a neuter at 9-12 months will stop unwanted behaviours which by 2 years will be well-ingrained and will not change.

No one on this board should be planning on breeding their cavalier of course :) (not least because the board is intended for pet owners who understand or want to understand better the serious health issues in the breed, which means no amateur breeding -- and responsible breeders have other places to go to discuss breeding).

I would hope membership and activity here will make every person realise why -- unless they someday will take the future survival of this breed deeply to heart and will be mentored by a health-focused, responsible breeder who does full testing including MRI scans and cardio checks and follows the MVD and SM breeding protocols.

I really do not ever want to see the prospect of at-home backyard breeding, or breeding for profit, or 'to have one litter', or 'for my children to enjoy new puppies" being considered as reasons to not neuter. :(

And I will remove members who appear to doing so (for reasons why, members should read the 'Getting Started' section and threads on health issues, especially SM and MVD. No one here should ever be willing to condemn this breed to an ever shorter and more pain-filled life -- which home breeding, and not following breeding protocols and testing protocols, ensures :x).

Yeah, you're rght about the hair. I really regret doing it but it got a bit long so I cut 75% of it :eek:(
Separate to the above issues -- some dogs will always spray their paws. Unneutered males will have increasingly stinky urine as they ermerge into adolescence and adulthood. Cutting the hair short around the penis almost always seems to worsen the problem and make them spray -- it will be several months for this hair to regrow.

Thank you so much for the tip! we have been using baby wipes but I will order these now! I see you are from NY also :)

My little guy has the same problem. However, he has gotten better since he was neutered a couple weeks ago (he is 7 months). He just started lifting his leg literally the morning after he was neutered! However, he still sometimes gets urine on his front paws and underbelly, especially when he is lazy and sleepy first thing in the morning. My husband and I tried shaving his belly, but that just made more urine get on his front paws. We also have used a washcloth with warm water for each time after he goes pee. This works but gets stinky by the end of the week, even with rinsing the cloth! The best thing we have found and now use is Nature's Miracle Pet Wipes, which we order from Amazon. We use it any time he gets any urine on his paws and underbelly (which still is a few times a week). The wipes are very mild, and have not irritated his skin at all over the month we have been using them so far. We also bathe just his belly and feet once a week or so, depending how much he needs it (basically when the fur gets to be an icky yellow). Hope that helps!

Back