Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM: documented increasingly in affenpinschers as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SM: documented increasingly in affenpinschers as well

http://www.lovemytrooper.com/index.html

An owner's anguish that many of us will understand. I am glad to see that some breeders are beginning to take action in this breed -- and expect more and more breeds with this problem physiognomy (miniaturised breeds will flatter faces/short noses) are going to see the horror of this condition become more than a rare once-off diagnosis.

Given that researchers have consistently indicated that it is small flat/short faced breeds that seem to have something in their genetic makeup that causes SM, surely other breeds should do some large scale sample MRIing to try and establish incidence rather than wait til painful, symptomatic incidence increases to the horrible point it has in cavaliers (with a 70%+ level of incidence of SM in the breed by the time cavaliers are over 6?)? Can we really force more suffering on dogs simply because we like them to look a particular way?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't read it the whole story.. Very like Abbey's story and when I first when in there the first thing I saw was the dog's tongue hanging out--neuro damage. Again so like Abbey. I feel that woman's pain and we could be sisters as our stories are almost alike. I pray I never go through it again.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

CavalierHealth.org recently added a section to its SM webpage -- http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomye...n_Other_Breeds -- linking to websites explaining SM in other breeds. The amazing thing is that, while there are several breeds known to have suspected genetically caused SM, very few breed clubs even mention it on their websites. Most of the links are not to breed club webpages, but to breed forums, and several of the breed names do not have any webpages at all to which to link.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

One exception is the Griffon Club in the UK, who are really taking SM pretty seriously. Perhaps we ought to extend an invitation to them to become 'honorary Cavalier owners' on this forum, so that we could share our experience of dealing with SM dogs with them!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    One exception is the Griffon Club in the UK, who are really taking SM pretty seriously. Perhaps we ought to extend an invitation to them to become 'honorary Cavalier owners' on this forum, so that we could share our experience of dealing with SM dogs with them!

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    I think its worldwide and not just the UK club. I know that USA also had study in GA.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

I know of a couple--UGA did it on the Brussel Griffons (spelling?) and Auburn did a long time ago at Auburn--can't remember the neurologist's name--I believe he's up in Ohio now.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The griffon research and awareness amongst breeders has largely been driven by breeder Lee Pieterse in Australia.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any resources to find out what the prevalence of SM in other breeds are? I'm very curious to see these statistics, but haven't really been able to find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucidity View Post
    Are there any resources to find out what the prevalence of SM in other breeds are? I'm very curious to see these statistics, but haven't really been able to find them.
    I don't think so.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are no statistics because there haven't been enough research projects or scanning results done by individual breeders to give any indication. However in griffons it is clear that incidence is far lower than in cavaliers and therefore the breed -- IF breeders and breed clubs truly do anything meaningful, en masse -- have a chance of avoiding the fate cavaliers are suffering at the moment. I know from LIVS that they see a high incidence in yorkies too but yorkie clubs seem to be in major denial. I wouldn't be surprised if incidence is far higher in yorkies than griffons from such anecdotal evidence and from the early SM lists I was on where there were a number of yorkie owners dealing with SM in their pets.
    Karlin