• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cimetidine 100mg

pkt89

Hi,
If you are using Cimetidine 100mg for your dog, would you please let me know where to buy it? I am in the U.S. Vet told me I can use Tagamet, it is the same but it is so difficult to find 50mg so I heard that Cimetidine comes as 100mg and I can split it.
thanks
Kitty

Hi

My Daisy is on Zitac 3 x 50 mg and of course Zitac is Cimetidene and the smalest size we can buy here
is 100 mg which is easily snapped in two .And as you say Tagamet is also Cimetidene but our Vets will
only supply their approved version ie Zitac .

Cimetidine is licensed as a veterinary drug in the UK as Zitac and comes in 100mg tablets which we split in half.

In the UK according to the British National Formulary, Cimetidine is available as Tagamet
Tablets, 200 mg, 400 mg,[and 800 mg]

and Syrup, orange, cimetidine 200 mg/5 mL.in 600 mL bottle

In the past we have used the syrup but it's incredibly expensive.

Is it possible to split the 200mg tablet into 4? I just found a photo of it on the net and it looks like that might be ok.

Hi

My Daisy is on Zitac 3 x 50 mg and of course Zitac is Cimetidene and the smalest size we can buy here
is 100 mg which is easily snapped in two .And as you say Tagamet is also Cimetidene but our Vets will
only supply their approved version ie Zitac .

I can't buy Zitac in U.S.
I wonder if I can buy it from online pharmacy in UK. Do you know a reputable online pharmacy in UK I can check?
thanks
Kitty

I've never seen the 100mg Cimetidine. We buy the 200mg and quarter it. I bought a $1 pill cutter so its pretty easy to cut accurately.

The cheapest place i have found to buy it is is our local Walmart store. They have 60ct generic for around $5. (Although they are out 1/2 the time I go in so I try to stock up when they have it.)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Ci...-Acid-Reducer-Heartburn-Relief-60-ea/10324616

If you don't have a walmart near buy Amazon.com has the walmart 60ct tablets. But there prices change every day. I have seen it as low as $7 and as high as $15. If you go with Amazon watch it for a few days and the price may change (go down). Right now it's over $12. (Still cheaper then Tagamet)
http://www.amazon.com/Equate-Heartb...YGD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326403474&sr=8-1

Tagamet is the name brand and more expensive. Most pharmacies have it. I have found Tagamet & the generic equivalent at Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Dollar General. Not sure if any of those places are near you? Just some ideas.

When I am in the US I look for generic cimetidine when it is on sale in Walgreens or other pharmacies and buy it -- comes in 200mg tabs that I split in 4 with a pillcutter. It may be cheaper to get on prescription however -- worth asking your pharmacist what generic cimetidine would cost.

Back