• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much for Raw diet?

Alana

I have been feeding Bella a raw diet for about a week now and my friend said I am over feeding her, so I need some advice. She gets 3 meals a day:

1. 1 chicken wing
2. 30 grams of lamb heart
3. 2 chicken necks

No veggies at the moment because we are doing elimination for her allergies.

Too much? I wasn't sure because she is growing and active etc. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Alana, My Yorkie who is 5lbs gets 100 grams per day. I got that somewhere...let me see if I can find it.

When she got home after staying with friends for several months to avoid quarantine here in the UK she was quite thin. I think I was giving her 150-200 per day and she gained quite quickly, within weeks she was back up where she should be. So we backed off to the recommended amount at that point and she is holding steady nicely.

They say to play with it a bit until they are at and keeping a nice weight and body condition and then hold there. I will look around to see where I got that recommendation.

Thank you. She isn't putting on extra weight (as in fat) she is growing well though.

Are you weighing the food? How old is Bella? You need to weigh the food on a kitchen scale to feed the right amount. 2-3% of their weight for adult dogs, and between 4-10% for puppies (depending on age).

For example, Lyra is 8 months old and weighs about 10.5lbs (4.8kg), and I'm feeding her about 3% of her weight a day. That's about 145g of food per day.. She gets her food twice a day (morning and evening), so that is 145/2 = 72.5g per meal.

ETA: I feed ground meat/bones/veggies (70% meat/bone, 10% organs, 20% veggies), so that includes the weight of all those, not just the meat alone.

We feed our female cavaliers (weighing around 6.4 kg) about 240 grams per day, and our males (weighing around 9 kg) about 410 grams, divided into two meals. The raw food consists of a beef/turkey mix or a beef/chicken gizzard mix, combined with vegetables. the ratio of meat to vegetables is about 60% to 30%. We supplement this with chicken or beef heart, chicken or beef liver (combined about 10%). Sometimes we add a cooked grain, at about 15%, and reduce the vegetable quantity accordingly. We add commercial supplements, including bone meal, heart disorder supplements, and our equivalent to Dr. Pitcairn's Healthy Powders.

Btw, you need to feed some organs (heart counts as meat because it is muscle) like liver, gizzards, etc. i believe 50% of the organ meat that you feed needs to be liver.

Back