• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What kind of food do you feed your Cav?

OMG we buy him 4x types of dry food and alternate lol.its ridiculous! right now we are on blue buffalo puppies, the instinct and 2 types of california natural. orijen we tried but its too hard for him to chew it bec it has bigger kibble. ye he is picky! he is picky with some wet food too but definitely prefers wet over dry. basically if its not chicken he wont eat the wet food lol. salmon or any fish forget about it! im soo glad im not alone! lol.
Oh Cadence does the same thing ALL the time! I'd put the bowl down.. he's sniff and walk away.. LOL. When he was a puppy I used to mix in wet food, add in yogurt and all that but after a while he'd refuse to eat any of it, so I decided well buddy you're getting that and that's the end of it! Nowadays he will eat at night when he's REALLY hungry and can't afford to be picky anymore, lol.

Have you only been feeding him one type of food so far? It COULD be that he doesn't like the food.. if that's the problem you could try feeding him another brand and see how it goes.. but if he's done this with many different foods, then yea.. he's just being picky! LOL.

It's MUCH easier to have a glutton dog, really! Lyra LOVES food and will eat absolutely EVERYTHING I feed her with gusto! I love it. She is so efficient that she finishes her food within 2 minutes.. Even less if it's raw (because I feed ground raw, so she just licks everything up within a minute, LOL) or canned!

OMG we buy him 4x types of dry food and alternate lol.its ridiculous! right now we are on blue buffalo puppies, the instinct and 2 types of california natural. orijen we tried but its too hard for him to chew it bec it has bigger kibble. ye he is picky! he is picky with some wet food too but definitely prefers wet over dry. basically if its not chicken he wont eat the wet food lol. salmon or any fish forget about it! im soo glad im not alone! lol.

This is ridiculous. It's time to switch to one food. His hunger strikes won't last forever, offer him the food, and if he doesn't eat it offer it again later. Use the same kibble as treats, so he can't fill up on something else.

Currently, I am feeding Fromm 4-Star grain free kibble (I also like their grain inclusive). They are eating the Beef Frittata now and will rotate with Surf & Turf and the new game bird formula that just came out. I also give them canned food on top of the kibble. They generally get Fromm Gold or Nature's Variety Prairie/Instinct. I like these canned foods because they don't contain any guar gum or carageenan. I love Mulligan Stew canned food, but haven't used it in awhile. Other kibbles I like and have used (and may use again in the future) are Nature's Variety Prairie, a brand called Rotations, Halo and Now! I also like Earthborn. But, as long as they are doing well on it they will continue to get Fromm 4-Star. I have also fed premade raw, and the brands I like and have used are Nature's Variety, Primal and Steve's Real Food.

Your not gonna believe me but i spoonfed my dog soup the other day.:rotfl:... it was very funny but she liked it becoz she drank it al :D:eek:

I am trying Rosie on K9 freeze dried raw. She has always had red patches on her mouth and belly. If I see an improvement I will change all of mine to that. It's from canada and it's a shame you can only get it in Lamb in the UK at the moment. It's very Convenient as it is freeze dried but because of that it's expensive.

My Chloe Louise was a finicky eater unless I fed her. I posted about it about 2 weeks ago. I took Karlin's advice and cut back the number of times I fed her from 3 to 2. Like Karlin said, a puppy won't starve itself. Well - I'm am so thrilled that my Chloe Louise eats - in the morning, and in the late afternoon -- without me feeding her. :)

I feed her Natural Balance (yep, still following in Sonny's footsteps :)). Specifically, Natural Balance - Small Breed Bites (for puppies through adults).

I got a sample of dry Biljac puppy food - and it made my Chloe sick. :( She threw up immediately after wolfing it down. I thought maybe she just ate too fast (since this was during her finicky time) and that the food swelled up in her stomach and made her throw up. Well, a few days later, I sprinkled just a few of the pellets on her food to try - not so much - and she still go sick later that night. I took her to the vet (because she didn't eat at all the next day), and the vet believed the food was simply too rich for her.

This is ridiculous. It's time to switch to one food. His hunger strikes won't last forever, offer him the food, and if he doesn't eat it offer it again later. Use the same kibble as treats, so he can't fill up on something else.

My first cavalier who is now nearly 12 yrs old was a fussy eater, we tried lots of different dried foods, but he would`nt eat and of them, he only liked chicken, veg, small bite mixer and tinned food. I was determined when we got our younger cavalier who is now 20 months that he was going to have dried food in his diet, he has James Wellbeloved, and guess what our older dog will now eat the dried food if he finds any on the floor or in a bowl, my younger dog is less fussy, but saying that I tried to give him carrot a while back but all he did was roll his body all over it but would`nt eat it.

When we got Aubrey a few weeks back, she was eating Fromm. Now she is eating Nutro Ultra, both the canned and dry puppy formulas.

Aubrey is quirky too with eating. She stares at her bowl and walks away. I've also fallen to fedding her by hand, but also know that she'll eat when she has no choice and is hungry enough. She LOVED the Nutro originally, but now does it with this food too, so I don't think it's that she doesn't like it, I think she is just being a primadonna like her dog mommy, who is the same way.

Why did you stop feeding Fromm? It is an excellent food, and imho better than Nutro Ultra. Also, I notice you're from Wisconsin and Fromm is made there. Did your dog not like the Fromm or was there some other reason?

She stopped eating it completely. Once I got her the Nutro Ultra, she devoured it. I think I want to try Fromm again, though. She's goofy about her food, she acts like she is afraid of it until I make a trail of the food to her bowl, and by the time she gets to the piece closest to her bowl, she'll finally smell it and eat it. But when I had Fromm mixed in with it, she wouldn't touch it.

I would try the 4-Star Fromm foods with her. I know they have a Fromm Gold puppy food, but the 4-Stars are all-life-stage and with a Cavalier they would work fine. They have lots of different flavors, too, and that's good for a finicky eater.

For the last year or so I have been feeding the girls wellness core original with a little of the 95% meat canned(beef, lamb, or salmon). Their coats are in great shape, Chelsea is better weight, no stomach troubles in over a year that required more that a pepcid.

Vivian is picky at times, just looks at the bowl. But I found that if I just pick it up an move it somewhere else, she gets excited and eats up.(this happens only when there is no canned food with the dry of course:rolleyes:).

Find one, stick with it for a while and be slow to introduce anything new(mix together) has been my best plan. Enjoy the puppy.

StellaLucyDesi, thanks for the tip. I will definitely try 4-Star Fromms. She definitely is finicky, and just stares at her bowl...sounds like lots of the Cavs do!

Lol. I mean i can understand him getting bored with one food flavor. I wouldnt like eating just one type of food. I just wish he ate when he needs too. and yes we do use the kibble as his treat normally we use instinct. lately he has been eating instinct on a daily basis so thats a blessing.

Back