Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Lyra look too thin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Lyra look too thin?

I've been told by several people lately that they think Lyra is too skinny (including her breeder). She's currently 8.5 months old and weighs about 10.5-11lbs. She looks to be in very good shape to me, but then again, I'm very used to fine boned breeds like Papillons (who generally are a lot slimmer) than Cavaliers, so thought I would ask you all for your opinion?

Here's what she looks like now:

I honestly prefer dogs to be on the slim side than on the heavy side, especially with Cavaliers and their heart problems! It's just easier to keep weight off than to try and get a heavy dog on a diet, in my opinion...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks perfect to me.
    Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    yes i agree looks just perfect to me too her coat looks beautiful
    my louie was weighed at the vet in september last year he was 7.2 klos
    and he was 3yrs 4 months old then and he looked just like lyra

Post Thanks / Like

She looks good to me! I love her markings on her coat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks in very good weight to me as well. Depends on whether she has ribs clearly showing -- cannot really see from that angle. Ribs when you rub fingers across them should be easily felt -- feel kind of like if you put a dishtowel across the bars of a crate -- palpable but not prominent.

Cavaliers are definitely healthier on the lower weight end for their shape/size -- as almost every one will eventually get heart disease and extra weight, even small amounts, contributes significantly to poor heart health and the possibility of earlier onset and more serious levels of affliction. My Jaspar looks like Lyra (at and the vet recently remarked what fantastic shape and form he is in -- that this is the kind of weight they should be in. She is probably on the lanky side right now anyway as is common for a pup at her age.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

She looks perfect to me. Candy is the same, the vet said she was her ideal weight at her last check up.

Post Thanks / Like

Brooklyn looks like this, so I would say fine. Just do the rib check as Karlin suggested....if you can see them visually (vs. Being able to feel them) she might need a tiny bit more weight, but it wouldn't be much.

Post Thanks / Like

Because most people (including breeders) allow their Cavaliers to get overweight, they take this as the norm, so that to them a fit Cavalier looks underweight and skinny. Lyra looks fine to me, and if she's got plenty of energy and doesn't pick up infections easily, I reckon she's fit. Also I think that some lines of Cavaliers are skinnier than others - the first Cavaliers I met, back in the 1970s, were brothers and really skinny - but very fit and tireless.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Dougall looked a very similar shape at this age, I think she looks in good shape.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lyra looks fine. We've got cavaliers from two different breeders, and Éowyn is more naturally slimmer than Molly, who's a bit more "squatty" in her body structure. Lyra looks very much like Éowyn. If you need something to compare, I posted a link, where you can see Éowyn standing up.http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...hlight=%E9owyn

Éowyn is 3 years old and weighs now 7 kg (15,4 lbs), but I must also say that she has just gained 1 kg (2,2 lbs) by order from the vet. She still looks very slender and skinny, but it really can vary. Molly weighs 8 kg (17,3 lbs), but she looks much heavier than she is. She has also been on a diet to loos 4,4 lbs (2 kg), a few years ago, and now both weigh what they should - and are praised for it by the vet
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Éowyn & Khaleesi