• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Moisturizing Puppy's Feet Pads?

Calandra

My puppy's feet pads are not soft. They're not hard or cracking, but they're not soft - like I would want my hands to feel. Is it okay to put petroleum jelly or olive oil on her puppy pads to make them soft, or is it normal for a dog's foot pads to be a little bit rough? (Chloe is 17 weeks old.)

Absolutely normal, lol. They only have really soft pads as pups.. as they grow up and walk more on outside surfaces, the pads get rough (to protect the skin). I'd just leave it as it is unless it's cracking. You don't really want your pup licking petroleum jelly off her pads. Eeks.

Hi
You can get a product called Shaw's Paw Wax and a similar one named Mushers Secret
both products protect and help them grip on slippery floors ,though I must admit I have
had a tin of Shaws in my Cavalier Care Kit and its still unopened after three years .

It's quite normal for the pads to feel rough. Every dog I've owned has had rough pads. They're like that to protect--I think of it as the soles of their shoes.

Agree with folks above on leaving them alone -- and of course, if you are ever considering putting anything on anywhere a dog can lick, be sure to clear it first with your vet. (y)

Your puppy needs her pads to build up like this so she can walk on them and it is perfectly normal and very very necessary -- otherwise she will have feet that risk being hurt and cut by normal objects she will encounter on daily walks and while exploring, and which will be burned by hot pavement. Her life would be pretty limited if they were kept the way they are as young puppies.

Back