Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Izzie has appointment tonight - Think it's SM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Izzie has appointment tonight - Think it's SM

I feel ill even writing this, it's like I'm making it official but I just don't know what to do.
    My oldest dog, Izzie, was supposed to be going to the vets tomorrow for a check up to get her spayed next week. Her seasons are coming quite close together (4-5 months apart) so they want to make sure she's not lactating/having a phantom beforehand. But I have another problem..

I think she has SM. When she was younger I took her to the vets to get her seem as she kept yelping when you touched her sides/lifted her up, the vets said it was more than likely she had bruised her chest (we run agility and she had had a fall) but he also mentioned there was a risk it was a sign of SM.
    Recently though, symptoms have started to appear and be more frequent. She is scratching more or less all of the time (we checked for fleas, and have changed her food to attempt to help but nothing has helped) and now she's started yelping for no reason like something is hurting her, and biting her bum/back legs. She's became a much quieter dog and just doesn't have her spark anymore. I was planning on speaking with the vet tomorrow about it, but this morning has been bad for her - so we got an appointment for tonight instead.

Insurance wise we changed insurance at the start of this year to AXA Lifetime cover, but am I correct in saying she wouldn't be covered anyway because it's hereditary and the symptoms started when she was younger and not insured any. Either way she needs to be seen so we'll get by as best we can.

Can someone please tell me what kind of thing I'm looking to ask the vets or what type of thing they might tell me. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but I really do think this is the problem - so what is the protocol?

Thank you so much, from a very upset Amanda and Izzie
    Mum to Izzie and George

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

If there is nothing on her records pre AXA you will be covered apart from the excess 75 or near ,
    just go along and see what the vet says but you will need a ferral to a neurologist and an
    MRI to confirm SM
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

just another thought what date did you go to AXA as I think there may be a period before
    you can claim just check the book that AXA sent you as you could be looking at 1500
    bri
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Found it

"Costs resulting from Pre-existingMedical Conditions, or Conditions whichshow Clinical Signs within the first 14days of the start of cover".
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

If there is nothing on her records pre AXA you will be covered apart from the excess 75 or near ,
    just go along and see what the vet says but you will need a ferral to a neurologist and an
    MRI to confirm SM
    Thank you. As far as I know there isn't anything on her records apart from the yelping when she was being lifted, I believe the vet put in her records that she had a bruised chest and just mentioned to me that it might have been a symptom of SM - so it's quite likely that there wouldn't be anything. Would it matter though that she'd had the symptoms before the cover started?

Thank you, I've printed off the SM Made Simple document to take with me. Her anal glands have been checked as have the skin issues, is there anything else the vet might check for before I should be referred, or is it sounding like SM is the most likely cause?
    Mum to Izzie and George

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

My bestest wishes to you for tonight ,just let the vet do his examination then if needed mention what
    you suspect but you must get a referral to a neuro who for preferance has an on site MRI scanner so try
    and find one near to you that you can ask your vet to refer you to .Once he agrees he has to fax /email
    a letter to them then you can arrange an appointment .

This is a link to AXA's terms and conditions but as I say you should be OK

http://www.axa.co.uk/assets/document...cy-booklet.pdf

As far as her symptoms go you dont know what they are so let your vet pick up from your description.With my Daisy
    when I saw my vet I just said staright out I think she may have SM and explained my thoughts then asked for a referral
    letter .

Rgds

Brian
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

It could be SM but don't automatically assume it is - Cavaliers are quite prone to disk problems, which could cause the yelping, and also to a middle ear problem called PSOM, which could be causing some of the scratching and can also be picked up by MRI scan but is nothing to do with SM (though the same dogs do often have both problems). And if it is SM, you will know from reading posts on this forum that many of us have dogs who having been living normal, happy lives with SM for many years - just remember it's not a death sentence. Hope you get some answers tonight.

Kate, Oliver (10.5 years old with SM) and Aled

PS and if Izzie does need a scan you have excellent neurologists and MRI facilities at both Edinburgh and Glasgow universities.

PPS Check if your vet has put on Izzie's medical notes that he thought it might be SM when he examined her before. If he did, and this was before you were insured with AXA, they may well consider it a pre-existing condition.
    Last edited by Kate H; 19th January 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to say I will be thinking of you and Izzie. I know how hard all the waiting and Uncertainty is.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for good news for Izzie
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and Izzie and hoping for good news.
    Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge