• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any tips for getting a urine sample?

murphy's mum

Misty's been drinking, and peeing more lately, I put it down to her changing to the Carprieve as it started about the same time. However last night she peed on our bed while lying next to Stuart, then I came home tonight to find she'd did it again. Same spot, even though the linen and the duvet was different, and the mattress has been turned top to tail.

I nipped her into the vet, who said it could be a number of things including, a UTI, diabetes, and kidney problems. She mentioned that if it is diabetes, then she wouldn't be able to stay on Gabapentin, but we'd cross that bridge if we come to it. Any idea why this is? I never thought to ask. She wants to rule out a UTI first obviously, so we're home with antibiotics and a pee bottle, that I need to get filled. Does anyone have any tips on getting it filled? I tried to get a flat tub under her when we came home, but missed. She's only passing small amounts when she's going.

I've never had to do this (yet anyway), but I remember Brian writing about following one of his girls around the garden with a soup ladle placed strategically. Might be worth a go :winkct:

Oh dear. Need to get to the bottom of this, she was snoozing next to me on the couch as I typed the above post, when suddenly I smelt pee. It's just ran out of her while she was lying there :(

My vets always give me a syringe... then I just suck up the sample. Does generally need to be in asap after sample is taken, a few hours at most.

... She wants to rule out a UTI first obviously, so we're home with antibiotics and a pee bottle, that I need to get filled. Does anyone have any tips on getting it filled? I tried to get a flat tub under her when we came home, but missed. She's only passing small amounts when she's going.

My wife learned this little trick while working part time at an holistic vet clinic. They use an old metal soup ladle. I just happened to need to get a sample this morning from a male, and tried it out for the first time. It worked beautifully. I am sure that it would work with females, too, but have not tried it with one yet. But the vet clinic uses it for both sexes. Of course, the ladle needs to be sanitized and dried before using.

Well the sample has been dropped off, and the sofa and chairs covered with waterproof bedsheets. She's restricted to the kitchen when we're not here, and banned from upstairs all together at the moment. She had two accidents before bedtime, but made it through the night dry strangely enough. Been letting her out ever hour, it's like potty training all over again. You should have seen her wee face after she had her accidents last night. She looked so sad poor lamb, and went to her bed, we had to coax her bad out with a fish biscuit. I feel bad I never took her in when her drinking increased.

Just got to wait on her results now.

Hi

I do so hope she will be OK ,and you well remember my escapade getting a sample which in the end I captured
by sucking it up with a syringe.My Rosie had an occasional dribble in her bed during the night ,my Vet tested her
sample which was fine then gave her some tablets which were useless and in the end I was informed by one of the
top UK breeders to speak to Tony at Ainsworth in London http://www.ainsworths.com/ which I did and he was
a lovely person and very helpful and advised as follows.

" suggest you try Pulsatilla 30c initially and give her one dose twice daily. If she seems in pain with cystitis then Cantharis 30c is a good option. Other remedies to consider are Sepia 30c if she is an old and a bit moody, Equisetum 30c or Causticum 30c for the bedwetting from weak bladder"

I opted for the 'Pulsatilla' and you know what it worked ,my little Rosie has been fine since and to be honest regarding homeopathy I was a top class non believer.So fingers and toes crossed for you both as its a horrible upsetting condition for the two of you .

Best Wishes
Bri and
Popp, Daisy,Rosie and Lily
"The FlowerCavs"

I've never had to do this (yet anyway), but I remember Brian writing about following one of his girls around the garden with a soup ladle placed strategically. Might be worth a go :winkct:

You might be looking for this.

5426091614_a1d4514656.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It could be related to the SM? I have had this with several dogs now and have always had success with an homoeopathic remedy made from the conventional medicine Propalin [from www.gentletouchremedies.co.uk]

You need to rule out other causes first though, especially as she is drinking more.

Hi there

Have you changed her diuretics recently?

When Ruby was put on Frusomide from Cimetidine two summers ago she became completely incontinent- she wouldnt even realise she was going the majority of the time- mainly when she was asleep!

Same thing as you are experiencing- increased water intake too- nothing came from the urine testing and I put it down to the diuretic change

After a couple of weeks I put her back on Cimetidine and it stopped pretty much immediately and I havent had anything since!

It could be related to the SM? I have had this with several dogs now and have always had success with an homoeopathic remedy made from the conventional medicine Propalin [from www.gentletouchremedies.co.uk]

You need to rule out other causes first though, especially as she is drinking more.

I wasn't aware of SM causing incontinence, have you a link to this? It would be interesting to read :)

Hi there

Have you changed her diuretics recently?

When Ruby was put on Frusomide from Cimetidine two summers ago she became completely incontinent- she wouldnt even realise she was going the majority of the time- mainly when she was asleep!

Same thing as you are experiencing- increased water intake too- nothing came from the urine testing and I put it down to the diuretic change

After a couple of weeks I put her back on Cimetidine and it stopped pretty much immediately and I havent had anything since!

We started the Cimetidine on the 14th of November, I had noticed a slight increase in her drinking then, but nothing like what we're experiencing now. She wasn't peeing all the time.

She does sound like Ruby though, she didn't know she'd peed as she was sleeping whilst the accidents occurred, hence it's been the couch twice and our bed twice:rolleyes: She had a dry day yesterday, and all night, but I still haven't got her results back yet, I called yesterday about 4ish to be told the vet had an emergency at a farm, but that I should hear today, so fingers crossed :xfngr:

The vets confirmed it's a UTI, so I've to take her back in in on Tuesday to see if the antibiotics have cleared it up or whether she needs a longer course :D

Back