Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does your Cavalier sleep?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much does your Cavalier sleep?

Bella sleeps between 18 - 20 hours a day. I was wondering if this is usual for a growing puppy, also how long do your dogs sleep?
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds a lot -- though young puppies do sleep quite a bit punctuated by lots and lots of activity.

Nicki or others very experienced with puppies will have better insight. Are you sure it is that much? Only 4 hours of waking time a day would not be much. That said dogs do like to lie around
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay maybe 1-2 of those hours she is laying down just resting. She usually wakes up in the morning, potty, cuddles, licks self, chases the cats potty sleep, then wake up, potty, play fetch, eat, go nuts running around the house, chews toy, potty sleep etc. She goes absolutely crazy when she is awake, mind you I don't know how much time she is awake when I am asleep, I put her to bed in the bathroom with water, chew toy, and puppy piggy. We have quite a large bathroom so she may wake up and play with her toys at times when we are asleep. Still, she does sleep a lot.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guinness slept 18-20 hours a day as a puppy. I was worried about him, but he has turned out just fine. He's actually the more active of my 2.

Post Thanks / Like

B.B. seems to sleep more on and off, she is 14 weeks and I am chalking it up to growth spurts. She seems very normal and playful so nothing to worry about other than some days of higher than usual naps.

Noelle

Post Thanks / Like

As a puppy...Brooky was on fire! Would be awake all the time running in circles everywhere! I thought I might go crazy ha ha, but now, Brooky sleeps all the time (she is a year and a 1/2 almost). When she is up though, she is energetic, loves to run, fetch, chase, swim, you name it. But if we are quite, or not home, now she just sleeps a lot. I guess it depends on the dog too, the owners lifestyle, their own energy levels (think how different humans are). Brooky always (and still does I think) have a lot of energy and stamina because she is really active with us...runs on the beach, swims, hikes, running around pavement. We have always just taken her with us and she has loved it. But the second we get home....sleep

Post Thanks / Like

Bella likes to sleep in the car, as soon as I start the engine she lays down and goes to sleep.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

when we got him at 2 months old he would sleep about 15 hours a day including naps. he was always sleepy. both vet and breeder said it was very normal and that just like kids, puppies sleep a lot. He would sleep like this up to maybe 5 months. now he likes his sleep too, he is 8 months and he sleeps about 8 hours and takes naps here and there for an hour or 2 so maybe 10 hours total.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our Baby: Gatorade, Blenheim Cavalier, 5/9/2011
    Enjoys: People, playing catch me if you can bec. no one can, sleeping, chewing pants strings and doggy dieting (lol)

Post Thanks / Like

That was one thing our neighbors (who had a Cavalier) "warned" us about, because they went through it, lol. I'm glad they said something, because Rose definitely slept a lot as a puppy! She was either full ON or slap asleep, but yes, she napped quite a bit .

Post Thanks / Like

Puppies do tend to sleep away their days!
    My dogs (now 3 and 1) sleep pattern really depends on what we're doing in the day. They could go for a hike which lasts hours and not miss a beat, or on a lazy day they could lay and sleep on the couch all day long.
    Mum to Izzie and George