• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much does your Cavalier sleep?

Alana

Bella sleeps between 18 - 20 hours a day. I was wondering if this is usual for a growing puppy, also how long do your dogs sleep?

That sounds a lot -- though young puppies do sleep quite a bit punctuated by lots and lots of activity.

Nicki or others very experienced with puppies will have better insight. Are you sure it is that much? Only 4 hours of waking time a day would not be much. That said dogs do like to lie around :)

Okay maybe 1-2 of those hours she is laying down just resting. She usually wakes up in the morning, potty, cuddles, licks self, chases the cats potty sleep, then wake up, potty, play fetch, eat, go nuts running around the house, chews toy, potty sleep etc. She goes absolutely crazy when she is awake, mind you I don't know how much time she is awake when I am asleep, I put her to bed in the bathroom with water, chew toy, and puppy piggy. We have quite a large bathroom so she may wake up and play with her toys at times when we are asleep. Still, she does sleep a lot.

Guinness slept 18-20 hours a day as a puppy. I was worried about him, but he has turned out just fine. He's actually the more active of my 2.

B.B. seems to sleep more on and off, she is 14 weeks and I am chalking it up to growth spurts. She seems very normal and playful so nothing to worry about other than some days of higher than usual naps.

Noelle

As a puppy...Brooky was on fire! Would be awake all the time running in circles everywhere! I thought I might go crazy ha ha, but now, Brooky sleeps all the time (she is a year and a 1/2 almost). When she is up though, she is energetic, loves to run, fetch, chase, swim, you name it. But if we are quite, or not home, now she just sleeps a lot. I guess it depends on the dog too, the owners lifestyle, their own energy levels (think how different humans are). Brooky always (and still does I think) have a lot of energy and stamina because she is really active with us...runs on the beach, swims, hikes, running around pavement. We have always just taken her with us and she has loved it. But the second we get home....sleep ;)

Bella likes to sleep in the car, as soon as I start the engine she lays down and goes to sleep.

when we got him at 2 months old he would sleep about 15 hours a day including naps. he was always sleepy. both vet and breeder said it was very normal and that just like kids, puppies sleep a lot. He would sleep like this up to maybe 5 months. now he likes his sleep too, he is 8 months and he sleeps about 8 hours and takes naps here and there for an hour or 2 so maybe 10 hours total.

That was one thing our neighbors (who had a Cavalier) "warned" us about, because they went through it, lol. I'm glad they said something, because Rose definitely slept a lot as a puppy! She was either full ON or slap asleep, but yes, she napped quite a bit ;) .

Puppies do tend to sleep away their days!
My dogs (now 3 and 1) sleep pattern really depends on what we're doing in the day. They could go for a hike which lasts hours and not miss a beat, or on a lazy day they could lay and sleep on the couch all day long.

My Belle slept about 18-20 hours a day, and Bobby was a little more active, sleeping less maybe 18 at the most.

Dogs can be very adaptable, especially the cavalier, which is why they make a great family pet... they are sporting and playful and can go on walks, etc. and are cuddly and can sleep away their days when there is nothing else to do.

I always feel bad when I am working and see them snoozing away on the sofa, I feel that I'm not giving them enough stimulation, but it's their choice to sleep, they play and snoop around when they want... but sleeping is indeed a priority!

I wonder how much sleep they actually need. Nalu doesn't sleep when we're around to interact with her, which is about 9 hours a day, more on the weekends. Now that she's two (today!) I'd like to see her be more independent like other dogs I know, but she seems to be more hyper and demanding of our time. Do dogs in daycare come home and nap, or do they continue to interact with their family? Quite frankly I can't continue to devote so much of my time and energy. Putting a bird feeder out to attract wildlife helps to entertain her. If I neglect her she will nag me to play and eventually sleep out of boredom, but I chose to give her a lot of attention her first two years.

I wonder how much sleep they actually need. Nalu doesn't sleep when we're around to interact with her, which is about 9 hours a day, more on the weekends. Now that she's two (today!) I'd like to see her be more independent like other dogs I know, but she seems to be more hyper and demanding of our time. Do dogs in daycare come home and nap, or do they continue to interact with their family? Quite frankly I can't continue to devote so much of my time and energy. Putting a bird feeder out to attract wildlife helps to entertain her. If I neglect her she will nag me to play and eventually sleep out of boredom, but I chose to give her a lot of attention her first two years.

A Happy Birthday to Nalu!
My Bobby does that sometimes, he cries for me to play fetch with him, and sits and stares at me until I do. It happens a lot when I'm at the sink washing dishes (as if his cue is 'Mom's at the sink, time to play fetch'). So I oblige and kick his toy or bone across the room... I end up multi-tasking and he doesn't seem to mind at all.:lol:

Bella goes to day care at my parents ;) there she runs around with Benny a lot but she sleeps too. As soon as we get in the car she crashes out. Then sleeps on and off in the evening, then from 10pm-6:30 am straight but on weekends she has a 6:30 am potty then comes and cuddles us in bed...yes we are teaching bad behaviour but I love those weekend morning cuddles!

Back