• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Long Thick Beautiful Ears

Brian M

Hi

What are the secrets to long thick soft beautiful ears ,what do to use a comb ,a slicker ,a mason pearson and what conditioning daily spray do you use .What are your secrets ??????

I think it's genes as much as anything. Oliver has flat, long, silky ears (bit motheaten at the bottoms if he goes through too many hedges!). Aled has huge thick ears, which seem to be more common on Blenheims - though having said that, my previous Blenheim had flat silky ears. Brushing should help, since it stimulates hair growth, but I'm not sure that there's anything you can do to change the basic ear type. And Oliver's are a lot easier to keep tangle-free - Aled's are a real pain!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

For knots, I use a comb, but mostly use a mason pearson brush on her feather and ears (spoiled little thing, my own brush is not even that nice!! ha).
If they get looking oily or greasy, I rinse them with water too (vs. a whole bath). Her ears are pretty naturally shiny and flat though.

I do also think it's genes! My George has stunning long thick ears, he's always getting complements on them. Whereas my Izzie, who I groom and bath just the same, has always at little thin stumpy ears. Doesn't make her any less cute though ;) I think it makes her look younger!

I am having a bit of an issue with Ollie`s ears at the moment, he did have medium length ears, but recently they have become very thin and scraggy looking, he is moulting badly at the moment, I use a slicker brush and a rotating tooth metal comb which is very good at getting out knots, just wondering if I brush them they would thicken up.

Tell Ollie I'll send over his little sister Ivy to give them a trim.
She's chomped Holly's ears right back to the leathers...they're now nice thick bobbed ears.:( .. and she has such a beautiful face,I almost feel like crying when I look at the vandalised ears.
Don't worry,his ears will return to former glory in a matter of weeks.I'd just keep his ears well conditioned with a bit of spray in conditioner and be patient.Keep food particles off them to stop him from chewing or sucking on them if he does that.
Sins

Hi Pam

I have been using a comb but its been taking too much hair out so yesterday I started with a small Chris Christensen mark 1 slicker
brush http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Slicker_Brush.html in conjunction with a 27 mm soft pin brush from the same people and using groomers evening primrose spray and finishing off with my soft mason pearson brush.I think I will also try Johnsons "No More Tangles " conditioning spray so we shall see how their ears develop over the next month .

Brian and Sins, thanks for the advice, I will have to spray conditioner on them. I had been very tempted to give them a little trim but did not want to ruin them, I love Ollie`s soft long coat and don`t want to ruin it, he definately has inherited their father`s coat Sins, he does`nt chew his own ears but does have a go at chewing his big brother Jasper`s ears and sucking out the gravy ears.:eek:

Back