Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Cav puppy is not healthy please help

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My new Cav puppy is not healthy please help

Hi everyone my name is Nadine myself and my partner bought an 8 week only Cav puppy on Friday and he is beautiful. His name is Elvis and he has been a dream in the few days we have had him. We took him to the vet today and found that he obviously hasnt had a vet check as he has a hernia and a grade 5 out of 6 heart murmur. We are absolutely devastated.

His heart is extremely fast and you can hear and feel it. His belly is also swollen which the vet suggested could be fluid.

We can now not get insurance for Elvis and cannot afford the four figure operation he needs. The breeder has offered us our money back but we want to give him a happy life even if it is only a few small years. Can you give me your experiences? How many operations will he need? Insurance advice? Any help at all. Anything but comments on the fact he should have been health checked before we got hm as we are really upset and just want some experiences shared. Thanks so much. Nadine

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nadine,
    Many cavalier puppies have a small umbilical hernia and it's not usually harmful.Is this in the centre of his tummy and about the size of your thumbnail?
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is but I am not worried about that so much it's his heart and the fact we cannot insure him for these operations. Thanks. N

Post Thanks / Like

This is a link to a short article written by the UK cavalier club cardiologist. It describes murmurs in cavalier puppies.
    http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/hea...arts/flow.html
    Again they're not necessarily life threatening..
    How experienced is your vet in dealing with the cavalier breed?
    Oh and welcome to the site, we'll do our best to help in any way we can.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Wow you have a big big problem with him poor baby if he is graded 5/6 and the higest grade is 6 you have lot of thinking to do ,there is
    no opearation as in humans to help we just start medication early to delay the inevitable .My daisy is five and graded 2 so we hope she will be here for another 5/8 years but at a high cost but we are insured .So with you position and no insurance you do what you can till the end or take him back ,have a good think .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian this wouldn't be MVD at this age.

I suspect it is Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) - occurs when a special blood vessel, used to bypass the pup's lungs in the womb, fails to seal after birth. This compromises the circulation of blood through the heart.

More about the condition here http://www.heartydog.co.uk/diseases/...teriosus.shtml

It is hereditary and so the breeder should be made aware if this is the problem.

Usually it only needs one operation to correct it - and 90% of dogs go on to lead a normal life following surgery. Without the surgery, and obviously depending on the severity, the prognosis is not so good

Is the breeder saying they will only give you the money back if you return the pup? That is very hard when you are obviously already very attached to him. Did you sign a puppy contract? Do you have anything in writing to say that he had been vet checked by their vet? Not sure where you are in the World, in the UK Kennel Club registered puppies are sold with a period of free insurance to cover this type of eventuality.

I would still recommend you insure him as there are many other health issues that Cavaliers sadly suffer from, and at the very least EVERYONE should have 3rd party insurance for all their dogs. Insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions - and in this case I suspect they would exclude any heart issues from future claims.

If you are not able to do the surgery [sometimes vets will agree payment schemes, might be worth looking into?] then just enjoy him for every day that you have him and follow the care instructions from your vet - ideally see a cardiologist.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't want to read and run - just wanted to say hope the poor boy is alright and I'm sure you'll do what's best to give him the best possible life. Good luck.
    Mum to Izzie and George

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting the link Sins, that is helpful to keep.

innocent flow murmurs tend to be fairly quiet (up to grade 3)
    so I am pretty sure this is not just a flow murmur
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sory to hear you are suffering Nadine. Hopefully you will understand more soon.
    The pdsa may be able to help you with bills. Are you in the UK? If so, I can give you their number.
    Kitty x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi there, so sorry you are going through this with your puppy. There are a couple of things this could be. One has already been mentioned but the other is what my little man has, which is valve displasia. Birth defect and causes the grade 6 murmor he has. He can't have valve replacement surgery as he isn't a big enough dog but he is doing well at 3 years. Need to find out why he has the murmor and go from there, but enjoy him x

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play