• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why I love this board!

CVFlagg

I had to take my Beanie to the vet school today for her annual heart examination. She has had a grade three murmur for a while but recently started with a cough so thought it best to take her now as opposed to waiting until April when she was due. Long story short, her heart disease has progressed substantially since April but she is not in failure. She has high blood pressure and her enlarged heart is pushing on the trachea, hence the coughing. She is on blood pressure medications now and antibiotics to try and open up that airway a bit more. They also sent her home with a heart monitor she has to wear for 24 hours because they noticed an arrhythmia when the cardiologist listened to her heart and again during the ECG.

BUT, on to why I LOVE this board- when speaking with the cardiologist, he started telling me about a heart study they were doing and if Beanie qualified would I be interested. I was definitely intrigued when he mentioned she would have free care for the duration of the study but told him to bring me all the paperwork and I would review while she was getting her tests and let him know. So, he brings me the paperwork and said, "no pressure at all, just want you to know it is an option." After he left, I busted out my iPad got on to Cav Talk and searched the name of the study- you guessed it- EPIC. I immediately pulled up Rod's postings, read through everything and of course decided not to put her in the study (she did qualify) and politely told him that I wanted her to live out whatever years she has left in peace and not as a drug company guinea pig. SO, thank you to the Cav Talk community for always being on the cutting edge and looking out for each other and our Cavs!

What a great story!!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

So wonderful that we all have this resource to go to so we can make informed decisions about our babies.

Hugs to you & Beanie! :)

What a great resource! It sounds like such a great program on the surface but through this bonding over our babies you have learned that it isn't great and you are better off without it.

Great story and I agree that this board gives so much back. I am grateful everyday for it. I am happy it helped you make a decision you feel good about.

Good story and yes the forum is very helpful but my Murphy is on the epic study and all dogs are different. I wouldn't put him on it if it wasn't safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I saw Murphy was on the study and I so hope that good results come out of this study! My Beanie is 12 and has had a very rough life (I did not get her until she was 8) and also has other medical issues, including EPI, so after reading everything, I felt it was best to just let her live out her life, however long it may be and not have to bring her to the vet (which stresses her out) so often.

Time also play a major (and even bigger) role for me as the vet school is 3.5 hours away and with my hectic work schedule, I just could not commit to having to go back for check-ups every 4 months. I would have felt just awful signing up for anything and then have to drop out due to time constraints.

Back