• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

insurance ireland vaccinations

shan

i have a blackand tan cavvie aged 4 thankfully no health probs so far just wondering which insurance company to go with? So far i think pet plan looks the best as far as vaccinations go they dont cover anything the dog is not vaccinated against but dont require annual vacs myra had all vaccs done as a pup and her first annual booster but nothing since what does everyone thing regards vaccinations and best insurance policy is insurance worth it etc many thanks:confused:

Some say yearly others say every three years. There are some people that believe we over vaccinate by doing it every year. I am pretty sure Karlin has a sticky about it.

I have two with petinsure but have never had a claim.
I have a claim currently being processed with Allianz,will let you know if it runs smoothly.
Sins

I found the quote in a thread with a vaccination question I asked.

They will probably be covered, but not necessarily–that is why the 3rd vaccination has to be given, and even then, they would not be assured of having basic immunity until about 10 to 14 days after the last vaccination in the series. There would be some risk that cats could bring in distemper or parvo, but the risk is pretty miniscule. if you are worried, I would ring your vet and just have a chat.

Puppies never have the full immune strength of adult dogs, really, during their 1st year of life. The one year booster is quite important, but after that, many people advocate going onto a 3 year core vaccine scheme or waiting even longer. There is very good evidence that dogs not only do not need to be vaccinated every year (or cats), but that this actually raises the risk of certain kinds of illness (cancers forming around the site of vaccines for cats, for example).

Hi, I'm with Petplan (Allianz) and would be one of the people who claim all the time for both my dogs - SM and CHF. I would be a lot worse off financially without it as Bosco's SM meds alone are €278 every 40 days.:x
Some people prefer to put money aside each month as savings for whenever they need to pay the vet, it's really a personal choice. For me, because I have two sick dogs, I am so glad I took it out -it has taken the worry from having to pay the bills. If you are going to get insurance do it quickly before any health issues show up, because once you have been to the vet about a particular problem the insurance co won't cover you.
Best of luck.

I would always have insurance. My first dogs were x Breeds and they were insured and I never claimed a penny in their entire life. I am glad that again I took out insurance with my Cavaliers. I got the best cover (lifetime cover) you can get for all three of mine. Between the two of them last year I claimed 6,000 pounds. I am glad I got lifetime cover as I know I can give them the best there is.

There's a thread here on insurance

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?35387-Insurance

My main reason for insurance was to never be in the situation that although there was treatment available, we could not afford to have it done...and would have to make decisions on that basis.

You will need to carefully check the terms and conditions of the policy - you should be able to obtain a copy before committing to go ahead - a few companies do state that you do not have to vaccinate annually but if your dog develops a condition for which it could have been vaccinated against, then you will not be covered for treatment for that condition.

We have a basic policy with Virgin with that condition, I have been pleased with their service to date, they paid out over £2,000 on Kayleigh's diagnosis and treatment for CM last year and I expected rather a price hike on the premiums but that did not happen not sure if they cover Ireland too, but worth checking out.

Even if you do not have health insurance for your dog, at the very least you need third party insurance:

Pet owners can be legally responsible for the actions of their animals. If your pet were to injure someone or run across the road and cause an accident, as owner of that animal you could be liable to prosecution and claims for compensation.

Third party liability insurance basically protects you financially in the event that your pet harms another person or causes them injury, or if your animal were to damage or destroy someone else's property. Under the 1971 Animals Act this includes damage to vehicles too. Some third party liability options extend to insure pet owners in circumstances where the animal is responsible for the death of another person. If your pet's actions were to cause such an incident the claim for compensation could be substantial -- and if you do not have third party liability cover you might even have to sell your home in order to make the settlement!

In the UK membership of the Dog's Trust includes FREE third party insurance - up to £1,000,000 cover per claim if your dog causes damage or injury to another person, their property or pets.

I understand this covers you for up to 10 [pet] dogs so for those with multiple dogs it may be very beneficial.

It also includes unlimited access to Vetfone™, 24 hour emergency advice from qualified veterinary nurses 365 days of the year.

Standard membership is £25 per year but if you’re 60 years or over it costs just £12.50 per year.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/giving/m...q/default.aspx

Obviously you are also providing valuable support to an important rescue organisation ;)

The problem with googling just 'dr dodds vaccine protocol' is it typically brings up out of date protocols that she herself has criticised. She has also complained that people have posted as 'her' advice something that she has *never* sai yet it is all over the internet as "Dr Dodd's protocal'. So strongly advise people to not just go with third party website recommendations that can pass around false information (just as so many do on diets, SM etc!). Look for original links to researchers, nutritionists, and so on and always be skeptical... :thmbaup:

I have some direct links to her own site as well as the recent national vet organisations and UCD vet school ALL recommending 3 year boosters unless there are reasons to do otherwise. There is NO one size fits all but I would never ever vaccination every year. There is now NO evidence ATALL that this is necessary and PLENTY of evidence that it actually can induce cancers and other problems. Most vets are way way way behind on their vaccination advice.

Back