• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brookyln in hospital...

Oh my goodness Kelsey what a horrific experience, I am glad that she is going to be okay. I will keep praying for her.

I am so happy to hear that Brooklyn is going to be alright, have been thinking of you both throughout the entire day!

Noelle & B.B.

Oh Kelsey, so sorry I'm just getting here to respond! I will continue to pray for sweet Brooklyn. I believe we have similar ticks in the Southern part of the US. Very scary. Do you do preventive tick control?

Makes me think we should all look into whether there is something similar in our part of the world, and have prevention if so.

Hugs to sweet Brooklyn from Claire and I!

That is great news Kelsey that she is going to be ok!!! I have been thinking about her all day and rushed home right now to check for updates on her. Tell Brooky that we are all still praying for a speedy recovery! :l*v:

Thank you all!
to answer some questions...I believe Paralysis Ticks are native to Australia (on the coastal/beaches ring), so not sure if they are anywhere else. We do use Advantix, but even the best protection can have holes I guess is the best way to say it. It is important if you are in a tick area, even if you use a tick protector, to still do nightly tick checks. That is how we found this deadly tick so early and frankly, it saved her life. A cavalier down the street from me died last week from this tick, and I was only thinking the worst.

I have known a lot of dogs on the beaches (in my area) affected, and I am just so grateful that Brooklyn was not like them. She made it. She is my hero. She is so strong and tough and did not even whine. She is an amazing animal. When we went to see her this morning, she was doing funny things with her mouth (the Paralysis tick will stop their gag reflex and almost give them this cotton mouth type thing where the smack their lips and pant a lot which is why they cannot eat or drink for a few days or they will inhale their food vs. swallow it), but she looked good and I...well I smiled for the first time in 24 hours.

It was a HARD night, a really hard one and I just have never experianced something like this before.

Anyway, the vet said...SHE WILL COME HOME TONIGHT!!! It was literally "when" we took the tick off". Thank god :) Bless her heart and thank you all so much for your group thoughts. They get us through some of the hardest situations and I am so grateful.

So glad to log on and see the good news. What a brave girl Brooklyn is. Our little dogs are just so amazing sometimes, aren't they.:jmp:

Thank you so much for your good news. I am so relieved to hear that! Best wishes to all of you :flwr:

I am so glad to hear she is alright. We get ticks out my way too. I still get scared that I will miss one when I check. I am glad she is coming home. What did the vet say about the timing?

:yikes -- what a terrible ordeal for your both. I have never heard of these ticks, so thanks for educating me and us all. I am so glad your prompt action saved her and that she is coming home so quickly after such a terribly worrying situation. What a great vet to phone so early -- knowing you'd be up and worried! You must have just held your breath when the phone rang.

It must have been a nightmare. What a good thing you knew you had to act so quickly.

Dog owners in the UK do not have anything like these nasty bugs to worry about, thank goodness.

I would imagine brave Brooklyn is going to be a little spoilt when she gets home?

Oh, I'm so glad she's well enough to come home. I raced on-line this morning to check her status and was so relieved to see that she had made it through the night. Lots of hugs and kisses going on at your house I'm sure!!

So relieved to hear that Brooklyn is on the mend and coming home. Hope she makes a full recovery soon :xfngr:

You will be so relieved to have her home and safe - what a horrendous experience but I hope that something positive can come out of it, that we have all learnt to be more proactive in tick checking and control.

Give Brooklyn a gentle hug from us all x

Fatnastic news, I am so pleased she is home. Lots of hugs and get well wishes from the Furry Four.

Back