Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just brought our little boy home!

Post Thanks / Like

What a gorgeous boy! Hope you have many happy years together! Please give him a cuddle from me.
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

H'e s so lovely! A very handsome fellow and I like either name. So glad all worked out well with the breeder and now -- all the FUN begins! We will want lots of pictures...... Just a little safety note for future car trips -- laps can seem safe but travelling that way is potentially harmful for both humans and dog. In the front seat, an air bag going off will kill a small dog and a dog can hit the windscreen or glove compartment at many multiples of the speed at which a car is travelling. An unsecured dog is easily flung through the air -- in just a 25-30mph collision this could be with enough force to break a human neck. So securely crating is the best way to go, or using a specially designed harness (lots in the market but very few actually tested for collisions so this is important to check out as well). Mine all love piling into their crate for car journeys to the park or beach or hills!] I keep a crate permanently set up in my car.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful. Went to see our 4 week old baby tonight, little Sasha coming home in four weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He is without doubt an 'Oliver' - given his screen pose - every time

So cute and we can all see, he has a loving and caring family to share many adventures

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone! We are so in love already!

Thanks for the word of caution Karlin. My Yorkie has a car seat and a car safety harness and so will he. I know it isn't a safe thing to do even with being able to shut off the passenger airbag in my car. He goes to the vet on Wed and I will get him one then or be using the crate until he is a little bigger for the vest and seat.

We have settled on Oliver, it just is him.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion".
    Author: Taken from a LO done by Too Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

He is absolutly beautiful. He is definitely an Oliver
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your puppy is absolutely gorgeous, what a handsome young man I think Oliver suits him!

The Gift shop [supporting Rupert's Fund, the Cavalier Collection scheme - both for research into Cavalier health - and Irish Cavalier Rescue] has these wonderful car harnesses which we use

http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/cavali.../prod_216.html

They are excellent as walking harnesses too so you don't need to take them on and off when going out in the car. The panel is neoprene so dries very quickly.

It is comfy to wear too!

It has clips on both straps so you don't have to pull it over their head [which many Cavaliers hate ] Mine have learnt to hold their paw up to have it put on!]

Last edited by Nicki; 30th January 2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Karlin says, the next best alternative is a crate, the plastic sided ones are best [like the airline travel crates] so that in the event of an accident the dog is not thrown against a wire mesh which could injure them.

If you use the wire mesh crates, make sure that they have a safety door at the rear so that if you are unable to open the boot in an accident, you can still get your dog out.

These are very good and do not rattle!

http://www.dogcages.net/

DO NOT USE the nylon mesh crates as the mesh has been known to separate away from the fabric due to the force of the dog hitting it, meaning that your dog could be loose.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Those harnesses look great! Will be getting those then. We do already have the plastic airline type crate.
    Thanks!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion".

Post Thanks / Like

At just about 9 weeks he is obviously still small. Does anyone have any idea what a good size would be to start with and are they adjustable enough to last at least a decent bit before replacing it?