Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misty's just had an alarming episode

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Misty's just had an alarming episode

Misty's just had a strange and upsetting episode. I think it was related to her SM

She has been scratching more over the last few days, she's just increased to 150mg of Gabapentin three times a day, from 100mg because of it. Plus her Zitac, and her Carprieve twice a day.

She was sitting on my Hubby's lap, she had been for about five minutes, when she suddenly started yelping. She was just sitting there, he wasn't even touching her, he was on his laptop. She didn't stop or attempt to move, so I gently lifted her onto the floor. She stopped yelping, but was holding her front right paw out in front of her, and when she tried to get up she couldn't put it down. I petted her head, and she sat there quietly. The oven timer went off and I got up to turn it off, and Misty happily trotted after me.

She has never done anything like this before. I found it strange and scary. Listening to her yelping like that was horrible. Is this something I should tell her Neuro about? I'm worried that she's getting worse.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Misty had this strange episode. That must have been really scarey for all of you. I can't help with any SM questions, but my instinct would be to call the neuro just to be on the safe side.

Sydney has MVD/CHF and had something similar to that happen to him. He was on the floor and the same thing, his front leg jerked up he yelped and he couldn't put it down or walk on it for a few minutes. All was fine after that. His vet said it could have been a focal seizure.

Hope it doesn't happen again to either Misty or Sydney.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm going to call in the morning.

She stole my bottle about 30 minutes later and chased it around the living room, and is now snoozing, but it does have me concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Misty. Hugs to you and her.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Misty and poor you, must have given you a scare, lets know how you get on when you call xx
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poor, poor Misty. Let us know what happens.
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Eowyn

Post Thanks / Like

So scary! Call her neuroloist. It does sound like it could be an SM episode. I have had similar episodes with mine.
    Flash Blitz Holly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone

Allison(our Neurologist) agreed it sounds as though it was her SM. I've to continue to try her on the 150mg of Gabapetin for another week, she was on 100mg before. If I don't see an improvement by next week she suggested we may need to try her on Tramadol.

Has anyone experience with Tramadol? I've used it myself, and couldn't drive or work because I was so doped up while on it. What kind of effect does it have on dogs?
    Last edited by murphy's mum; 1st February 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added missing details

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Intermittent pain episodes can occur with SM. I have seen things like this happen in my SM dogs.

This may be a one-off episode, if so it may only be necessary to take a detailed note of what happened and tell the neurologist when you next see them.

If it happens again then it would be wise to check & see if her medication needs to be tweaked some more.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning

I noticed on your posting that your dog is receiving 150 mgs of Gabapentin three times a day. Does mgs = mils. My Charlie is taking 0.60 mils twice a day.

Meanwhile I hope Misty is feeling better.
    Sandra
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy's mum View Post
    Misty's just had a strange and upsetting episode. I think it was related to her SM

She has been scratching more over the last few days, she's just increased to 150mg of Gabapentin three times a day, from 100mg because of it. Plus her Zitac, and her Carprieve twice a day.

She was sitting on my Hubby's lap, she had been for about five minutes, when she suddenly started yelping. She was just sitting there, he wasn't even touching her, he was on his laptop. She didn't stop or attempt to move, so I gently lifted her onto the floor. She stopped yelping, but was holding her front right paw out in front of her, and when she tried to get up she couldn't put it down. I petted her head, and she sat there quietly. The oven timer went off and I got up to turn it off, and Misty happily trotted after me.

She has never done anything like this before. I found it strange and scary. Listening to her yelping like that was horrible. Is this something I should tell her Neuro about? I'm worried that she's getting worse.