• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Puppy- Belle

Hello,
Can anyone give any good advice on how to stop my puppies anal glands blocking as she had them emptied on Monday and they where bad and the vet advised that we revisit in 2 months to see if they where getting better. Thank you:D

Last edited:
Hi! We added oat brans and fibres to our cavaliers' diet, too. I know it helps sometimes. Maybe you have seen that I am writing a blog at this forum about my Molly and Éowyns recovery from anal glands surgery at the moment? That will - as it seems by now - solve our problems. However, surgery shouldn't be considered lighthly, and I think that you should wait more than 2 months before making the decision.
Best wishes for Belle :flwr:

Last edited:
Yes thank you very much and yes i have seen your blog on their recovery, I wish them both well and a quick recovery. We have been planning out Belles meals more carefully but would do anything for her to eat due to our last cavalier puppy having to be put down at 20 weeks, the breeder gave us a diet plan that consists of chicken, mince, protein powders, SF 50, and baby rusks. But we eventually got Belle to eat some winalot dried food. Thank you for your advice and we are fa away from letting her have her anal glands removed.

Hi Megan. I am sorry to hear about your first puppy, it is just awful.
I certainly understand your concerns for Belle, and if she keeps having problems with her anal glands, surgery is definitely an option. She gets a varied diet, and it sounds like you are doing the right things.
My dogs - well they improve slowly ;)

By the way - maybe this thread belongs in the health section? Could one of the moderaters move it, please? Maybe others have more advice?

No no, it was just to help, because more people read the health section :)
And welcome on bord :flwr:

I have moved this thread to the health forum as it had been in the section about how the board works. (y)

hi
the vet should me how to empity anal glangs
think of a clock and they are situated at 20 past and twenty 2 then you squeeze them up it can cost a furtune back and forwards to have the vet to empty
good luck

Sparky had an abscess in his anal
Gland towards the end of last year & i was advised to give him his chicken wings (raw) more often - i was giving them twice a week, now he has half of one every day & he had his glands checked 3 weeks ago & they were completely empty!

The trick is to make their poop nice & hard which will empty the gland when they defecate

Back