• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Elton is getting MRI

Also: maybe you remembered my reply as the other way around? (eg my explanation in the past). I see back in 2009 I said basically the same thing on a similar discussion :) But at the same time it IS a bit ambiguous -- I quoted Clare's FAQ which says hydrocephalus is an extreme form of dilated ventricles.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?32401-Shelby-s-MRI/page3

Although dilated ventricles are related to hydrocephalus I would think (or hope) they wouldn't be used interchangeably as so many would be then far more alarmed by having dilated ventricles noted on their scans -- it is so common! Real hydrocephalus is much rarer.

I agree that it is important to have a clarification and the area is very confusing! I will see if I can find out more on how neurologists view the two things too.

It still isn't actually known if dilated ventricles mean anything or cause anything or do anything, and some breeds have really large dilated ventricles as the norm with no problems from them.

I'm very interested in this statement since there has been a lot of self-reporting on the forum about pretty serious symptoms attributed to dilated ventricles. And many (most?) Cavaliers with mild to moderate CM and no SM on MRI have mildly dilated ventricles. (My own boy falls into this category.) I've been carefully monitoring some behaviors and evaluating whether I want to start a trial on medication so this is an important point for me.

Can anyone point me to specifics in the veterinary literature that address dilated ventricles? I'll start looking myself also, but any guidance will certainly save some time!

Thanks,

Pat

Back