Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Elton is getting MRI

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also: maybe you remembered my reply as the other way around? (eg my explanation in the past). I see back in 2009 I said basically the same thing on a similar discussion But at the same time it IS a bit ambiguous -- I quoted Clare's FAQ which says hydrocephalus is an extreme form of dilated ventricles.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...by-s-MRI/page3

Although dilated ventricles are related to hydrocephalus I would think (or hope) they wouldn't be used interchangeably as so many would be then far more alarmed by having dilated ventricles noted on their scans -- it is so common! Real hydrocephalus is much rarer.

I agree that it is important to have a clarification and the area is very confusing! I will see if I can find out more on how neurologists view the two things too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    It still isn't actually known if dilated ventricles mean anything or cause anything or do anything, and some breeds have really large dilated ventricles as the norm with no problems from them.
    I'm very interested in this statement since there has been a lot of self-reporting on the forum about pretty serious symptoms attributed to dilated ventricles. And many (most?) Cavaliers with mild to moderate CM and no SM on MRI have mildly dilated ventricles. (My own boy falls into this category.) I've been carefully monitoring some behaviors and evaluating whether I want to start a trial on medication so this is an important point for me.

Can anyone point me to specifics in the veterinary literature that address dilated ventricles? I'll start looking myself also, but any guidance will certainly save some time!

Thanks,

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not sure but Elton has very mild CM but he is on gabapentin
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin you maybe right about some missing at first
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    ... Can anyone point me to specifics in the veterinary literature that address dilated ventricles? I'll start looking myself also, but any guidance will certainly save some time!
    I think so. http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm#What_SM_is
    Rod Russell