• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kennel Cough - To cautious

Sabby

When Rosie & Ebony were younger my friend who got their sister & brother came to visit me without her dogs because they had kennel cough. Four days later both of mine got kennel cough. When I went to see the vet he confirmed that kennel cough can be transferred by Clothing & shoes.

The lady running the agility classes got one of her dogs come down with kennel cough, I only saw it on face book so I decided not to go to her class yesterday. My dilemma is that two people that attend her class also come to my Rally Class. I took the decision and rang them and ask them not to attend my class for the next two weeks. In my opinion you can’t be too careful with kennel cough and Ebony & Harley have enough on their plate without getting that.

Do you think I have been to over cautious?

I think you went with your instincts, which was the right thing to do and with anything contagious with dogs, likewise children, it's best to err on the side of caution.

I think the lady running the agility class should have postponed until her dogs were well again...

I think the lady running the agility class should have postponed until her dogs were well again...

I've been through this recently with a rescue dog that we got out of a shelter with canine flu. It does live on clothes (for a short period of time), but if lady had washed her clothes in hot water and not interacted with her dogs after getting dressed for agility, then there shouldn't be much chance of other dogs catching it. For the other dogs' sake I hope she was this careful.

My sister did a ton of research with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) on both canine flu and kennel cough because I was paranoid our dogs would catch it since they are not vaccinated for canine flu.

That said, when I got home after dropping that dog off where she was going to be isoloated and get supportive care, I steam cleaned my floors, sprayed my shoes & every surface in my house with lysol (and she was not even in my house!) and washed my clothes in hot water.

You really can't be too careful with these babies.
:l*v:

I've been through this recently with a rescue dog that we got out of a shelter with canine flu. It does live on clothes (for a short period of time), but if lady had washed her clothes in hot water and not interacted with her dogs after getting dressed for agility, then there shouldn't be much chance of other dogs catching it. For the other dogs' sake I hope she was this careful.

My sister did a ton of research with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) on both canine flu and kennel cough because I was paranoid our dogs would catch it since they are not vaccinated for canine flu.

That said, when I got home after dropping that dog off where she was going to be isoloated and get supportive care, I steam cleaned my floors, sprayed my shoes & every surface in my house with lysol (and she was not even in my house!) and washed my clothes in hot water.

You really can't be too careful with these babies.
:l*v:

I also have a responsibility to the people that come to my class.
Also I don’t think the lady would have put fresh cloth on before coming to agility as she didn’t make a big deal of it when I phoned her. When I had to phone one of the ladies not to come to my class she completely understood but was upset in regards to the agility lady, as she is a first time dog owner and she said that they should have been informed of the situation and be allowed to make their own mind up. The other agility club I used to go to had an outbreak of kennel cough in November and they shut the whole club down for two weeks.
The agility lady has 7 dogs so this could go on forever.

I didn't get that you are running the Rally class.

Yes I definitely agree you should ask those people not to attend if you are concerned their dogs might have been exposed. What a shame that lady runnign the agility didn't seem to comprehend the seriousness of the situation.

Back