Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: petzlife

Post Thanks / Like

For €75 - €80, I'd have the dental and start with maintaining the teeth from then on.
    That's a brilliant price !
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are many different products available it's finding something that works for you and your dog. Brian is right about brushing being the most important thing but you do need to introduce it carefully:

Introducing teeth brushing into your pet’s routine, restrain your pet by gently holding it around the muzzle. Lift the lip to expose the teeth.
    Day 1 Gently stroke the outside of your pet’s cheeks with your finger only (no brush) and slowly lift the lip for about 30 seconds. Give your pet praise and a small treat at the end of every day’s session.
    Day 2 Repeat as above and also place a small amount of toothpaste on the end of your finger and let your pet sample it.
    Day 3 As day 2, but this time gently run your finger or finger toothbrush and a small amount of toothpaste over your pet’s teeth for 30 - 45 seconds.
    Day 4 As day 3, adding 15 seconds time to running your finger or finger toothbrush over your pet’s teeth.
    Day 5 If all is going well run your finger over the teeth for 30 seconds and then gently insert the toothbrush and again run over the teeth for 30 seconds.
    Day 6 As day 5 but increase the time by 30 seconds.
    Day 7 By now you should be aiming to spend at least one minute on each side of the mouth

Be patient and take time with the process or else your pet will resist. Always praise your pet. Praising will make them more receptive. Remember to always put a small amount of animal toothpaste on your finger or toothbrush. Your pet will like the taste and will associate it, the praise and the treats with toothbrushing. Note that human toothpaste is for humans and not for pets. If your pet shows any sign of aggression stop immediately.

I don't think you really need to be using 7 different products every night though!

Do you have a tooth descaler? http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Teeth.html do some, there are also some on E-bay. You have to be gentle with them but they are effective.

It is best to have a dental first to clean the teeth up and then start again from there - it will also find problems that we are not able to see.

I find the homoeopathic remedy Fragaria very effective - put one tablet in water bowl every day for a month, then every day for one week of each month. This softens the tartar making it easy to remove. I buy mine from http://gentletouchremedies.co.uk/

It is good to clean the teeth every day, http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/cavali.../prod_188.html this helps remove the softened tartar.

It's best to get into a routine, maybe after breakfast or something.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the good advice I will go ahead with the dental she is booked in for next week Sins what would be the price you would have expected to pay this was price quoted i assume the practice will stick with there quote
    i have been growing myra coat and she is looking really good now so hope they dont have to shave her or anything
    i think i will order the gel from petzlife for up keep of the teeth afterwards I still have not picked out and insurance company for her i am torn between allianze and petinsurance.ie

Post Thanks / Like

I would have expected between €100- €120.
    Your most likely claim will be for MVD in the coming years,so if Allianz will cover this for you,then I'd choose them.
    Also petinsure are not covered by the Ombudsman here.
    http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...ight=ombudsman

My two are with petinsure from the second I brought them home as puppies.Once you choose a company,just stick with them,whoever they are.
    Problems mainly seem to crop up if you change insurers,otherwise,I think the majority of claims are processed smoothly.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.