• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Walks - Any Restrictions?

BeBe

BB is doing well walking on a leash, is there any limit to the amount of walking a 3 month old can/should do? Obviously I will watch her for getting tired but did not know if there was a general guideline.

My dog trainer had a rule of thumb that was 1 minute for each week of their age (until the are grown up more). So for BB that would be 12 - 15 minutes. Puppies will be able (and want to!) do more than they should...even had a friend who took her to the dog park to tire her out, well her puppy kept going at full speed until he made himself sick. She just didn't realise that we say when is enough, vs. the dog as they will keep going. Brooky LOVED being outside when she was a little pup, so to stay within how much I knew she should be walking (need to also be careful of their bones and joints as they are growing), I would just do lots of short walks to keep her stimulated vs. one long one.

I hope that helps! I am sure everyone has their own rule of thumb :)

Also, as BB gets older, you can really work her up or down to what you want. For instance, Brooklyn is really active, goes running with my hubby 3 times a week, lots of walks and hill climbs etc. But I just watch her closely for overdoing it. Like, when my husband runs with her on the beach, he will run with her for maybe 15 minutes (because they run full on and she can't go ages), then ties her up to the tree in the middle, and she watches him run back and forth and finish his run. Her walks are probably 30 minutes, twice a day if we are only walking. She is a year and a half. Sometimes more, sometimes less...cavvies are really flexible based on a lot of factors, so as BB grows up, you will know her tolerances, etc. :)

Thanks! I think I walked her too far the other day and got a little concerned but want to walk/run with her. Will stick to the 1 min per week rule to keep it in check, I had also heard something about damage to joints and growing muscles but could not find where I saw it!

Yeah, I am sure there are probably some variations on the rule, but that's just what we followed and as she got older, I just sort went for what I knew she could do. Worked up to it. But we also did a lot of training at home in between walks...so even though she might not be walking a long time this early as a pup, she is still getting tired from the mental stimulation.
Also, puppy's have a short attention span, so shorter more frequent walks allow you to train better on the lead with them still able to keep focus :)

Back