Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlie McFarlie is 9 years old

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.
    I'll get some new pictures of Charlie posted, as soon as I can.

Charlie has been slowing down the last year or two. When we do our walk down the street, he often stops (and doesn't want to contine) on our way back.
    I often pick him up and carry him one or two houses, before putting him on the ground so we can continue the walk.
    Also, especially when he gets up from sleeping, he has a noticable limp. I started him on a joint treatment, late last week, so I'm hoping he responds to the treatment. I believe it's Glucosamine (please pardon my spelling).
    Otherwise, Charlie is doing fantastic. I figure in human years, he's around 59 to 63 years old (depending on how it is calculated), so I understand exactly what he is going through since I am in the same general age bracket .

Thanks again for the support. I am enjoying the "here and now" with him and feel blessed to have such a wonderful dog. Cavaliers are the best!
    Last edited by Rosewoodsteel; 8th February 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it took so long to post a picture of Charlie McFarlie, but I've been working 7 days a week for 3 weeks now.
    Here's a pic of Charlie this past Christmas. (Note: Charlie's eyes are very clear, they just came out this way with the flash.)
    He's our sweet little 9 year old guy. -As kind and gentle as the day is long.

Charlie taking a stroll in the Winter of 2010..

Last edited by Rosewoodsteel; 4th March 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Awe! I adore him...what a sweet boy.

Post Thanks / Like

He's beautiful
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday Charlie!! What a beautiful boy.

I remember thinking the same thing when Misha turned 10. He will be 16 this year, so try not to worry too much. Give him extra hugs and kisses, and enjoy each and every day.

Slowing down can be a sign of pain. If his joints are sore, maybe ask the vet for something. You can also try adding 1-2g fish body oil (not cod liver) and 100IU Vitamin E a day to his food. The omega 3 fatty acids will help decrease inflammation and the E is necessary to protect the unsaturated fats in the fish oil. It must be used long term. Misha is on tramadol as rimadyl is too dangerous for old kidneys.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had Charlie McFarlie on Glucosimin (-10 sp) for around 4 weeks now. I'm hoping this will make his joints feel a little better. The funny thing is, when we do our walk, he is fine until we return up the street and he is at his buddy Bailey's house. We haven't seen her for a long while now, but she used to come out to meet Charlie when we walked past her home. I'm beginning to think that Charlie stops there, not because he is tired or sore, but because he misses Bailey. It's gotten so bad, I have to carry Charlie home sometimes..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    charlie you are absolutley beautiful and hope you have many more birthday's
    sending you kisses and cuddles from louie and his mum