• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy's Treatment Question

Brian M

Hi

Thought I would claim for Daisy's medication since she was diagnosed last August as I haven't so far, so I have been rereading all her notes from my vets and also Chestergates and North West Surgeons .

Upon reading my vets "Client Record" there is " Furosemide 10 mg daily ONGOING to control cerebrospinal fluid pressure and prevent dz progression .Adv check serum K+ every 3 months " but as she was then also diagnosed with a Grade 2 murmur which resulted in my dropping furosemide and putting her on Cimetidene (advised in an earlier thread my reasons for this action )do I get the serum checked or not now ,also can somebody please advise what serum K+ is and what its for ,also what does dz mean ?

Thanks

Hi Brian,
I don't know what a serum K test for dogs is, maybe have a chat with your vet to see what he thinks? I'd hazard a guess that dz means disease.

Hi

Dz is short for disease. Serum K+ means blood potassium. Treatment with furesomide can cause levels of potassium in the blood to drop, which can then cause problems with the heart rhythm, which is why it is checked regularly. You're probably best checking with your vet about whether or not Daisy needs more blood tests.

Hope that helps.

K is the chemical symbol for potassium - so the blood test would be looking for raised levels of potassium.

Frusemide is one of the Potassium-sparing diuretics - diuretic drugs that do not promote the secretion of potassium into the urine. It may raise potassium levels beyond the normal range, termed hyperkalemia, which risks potentially fatal arrhythmias.

Yes DZ in this context would be disease.

I think Daisy was only on Frusemide for a very short time and it's some months ago now, so I don't think she will need this test but worth checking with your vet just in case.

Clare Rusbridge recommends monitoring haematology and biochemistry at least 12 monthly for any dog receiving long term medication [from her treatment diagram which you can download from http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/ and print off to give to your vet]

Tks Nicki
I guessed it might be to check potassium overload ,from my O Level chemistry and I thought as she is now not
on Furusemide it might not be needed but a quesion I think worth asking .We go back to Simon next Aug but I am
undecided about going back to her last neurologist as I have been thinking about Lpoool Uni who now have all
modern facilities so I dont know apart from the fact I want the best for Daisy not an ego trip for Br.

Tks for the clarification.

Sorry Henny was posting at the same time as you!

Brian you are really lucky being close to Liverpool - my former neurologist from Glasgow is there now Rita Goncalves she is very good. They also have one of the best cardiologists Dr. Joanna Dukes-McEwan - I've known people travel from Norfolk to see her!

That's ok Nicki.
Just to add though, Frusemide is not a potassium sparing diuretic. It is a loop acting diuretic. One of the side effects is losing potassium and can cause HYPOkalaemia (low blood potassium) which can cause serious heart arrhythmias. Very safe is monitored regularly though.

Hi

Thanks Nicki your comment has confirmed my decision for Daisy we shall go and see Rita Goncalves for her next appoitment .As this would be Daisy's
first time with Rita and only her second overall for her SM do you think they would want to so a full MRI again or would they accept the one we had done at Chestergates . With a Cavalier that has SM how often do neurologists require MRI scans and do they judge the required frequency on each individual dogs health .A question also about Rosie please ,she had her MRI at Chestergates Nov 2010 with Martin who as we know is back in Germany ,she was diagnosed with CM
but looking at her chasing her tennis ball she seems and acts perfect and shows no illness at all so what should I do next with Rosie ?

http://www.liv.ac.uk/sath/services/neuro/

Thanks

Brian

Hi

Thanks Nicki your comment has confirmed my decision for Daisy we shall go and see Rita Goncalves for her next appoitment .As this would be Daisy's
first time with Rita and only her second overall for her SM do you think they would want to so a full MRI again or would they accept the one we had done at Chestergates . With a Cavalier that has SM how often do neurologists require MRI scans and do they judge the required frequency on each individual dogs health .A question also about Rosie please ,she had her MRI at Chestergates Nov 2010 with Martin who as we know is back in Germany ,she was diagnosed with CM
but looking at her chasing her tennis ball she seems and acts perfect and shows no illness at all so what should I do next with Rosie ?

http://www.liv.ac.uk/sath/services/neuro/

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian
My two are on Zitac and Clare said it would be good if they could get scanned once a year to see if the SM is progressing or not.

Also my Ebony has only got CM but it is symptomatic where she head rubs and scratches, now on gabapentin she is a lot better. Ebony has never stopped running around chasing birds, she is full of life and apart from the scratching you would never know she has got symptomatic CM. If you don’t see any symptoms with Rosie then she wouldn’t have symptomatic CM. Like you can read on the Forum most dogs have CM but are not always symptomatic. I don’t think you need to do anything with Rosie unless you start seeing symptoms.

I am sure other people on here will be able to advice you.

Nicki

Just thoughts on a previous post of yours .
You stated earlier "Frusemide is one of the Potassium-sparing diuretics - diuretic drugs that do not promote the secretion of potassium into the urine. It may raise potassium levels beyond the normal range, termed hyperkalemia, which risks potentially fatal arrhythmias."

is that right I thought it did the exact opposite

ie Potassium deficiency can also occur if diuretics such as Lasix are given for long periods of time. Symptoms of potassium deficiency include cardiac arrest (the heart stops beating), nervous disorders, loss of appetite, poor growth, and weakness. Low blood potassium is a serious condition and animals with prolonged vomiting or diarrhea should be seen by a veterinarian.

and

n.wikipedia.org/wiki/FurosemideCached - Similar
Furosemide (INN) or frusemide (former BAN) is a loop diuretic used in the treatment of .... It is used to treat congestive heart failure in canines (who expereince fluid on the lungs) due to ... It is especially important to prevent potassium loss

as an alternative
[h=3]GENERIC NAME: Spironolactone[/h][h=4]UK BRAND NAME: Prilactone[/h]DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: One of the main functions of the kidneys is to retain salt (sodium chloride) and water in the body. In animals with heart failure, increased levels of a hormone produced by the adrenal glands, called aldosterone, causes salt and fluid to be retained by the kidneys. (At the same time, it also causes the kidneys to eliminate potassium.) The body becomes overloaded with salt and water, and this worsens the heart failure. Spironolactone inhibits the action of aldosterone thereby causing the kidneys to excrete salt and fluid in the urine while retaining potassium. Therefore, spironolactone is classified as a potassium-sparing diuretic, a drug that promotes the output of urine (diuretic) while allowing the kidneys to hold ont
Best Wishes

Bri and friend

Back