• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Insurance questions for new Cavalier Owner

DebbieDee

Hi all, have very recently became the owner of a gorgeous little girl puppy, Maisy. Totally lover her to pieces and have been wanting one of these dogs for a very long time.

I've been somewhat silly though by falling in love with these stunning little dogs and although I knew a very small amount about a couple of the conditions they can suffer from I'll be the first to admit I didn't research this nearly enough and was blinded by by desire to own one of these dogs.

I've had Maisy to the vets for a check over and other than a little bit of a sticky eye she is fine at present and doing very well within her new home and although only 8 weeks old is already doing very well at housetraining - still getting puddles on the floor but cries and scratches door to go out for number 2's :D

I'm rambling I know, sorry! My question is really a simple one I think, does anyone know of a good insurance company who will provide life cover for Maisy without me having to take out a second mortgage to pay for it? Also, if a condition is discovered in years to come does the company she is insured with have the right to then refuse me insurance when the re-newal is due? Does that normally happen?

If anyone can offer me some advice regarding insurance and maybe point me in the direction of a few companies for quotes I'd be very grateful,

Thanks xxx

Welcome to the board - it sounds like you have fallen in love with your puppy already :) Cavaliers have that effect!

It's really good that you are considering insurance, I feel it is essential for this breed - have a read of this thread http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?35387-Insurance

also if you do a search you will find lots of posts on the topic - if you post which country you are in it will help people with recommendations.

If you are in the US, I can recommend PetPlan, (www.gopetplan.com) - based on my own experience and also Cavalier friends.

I have also heard good things about embrace and Trupanion, but none of this helps if you are into in the US ;-)

If you are in the US though, go to www.petinsuranceuniversity.com as that will provide another resource for your research.

Go with pet plan, life cover. I have the bronze package which is,enough for SM treatment and meds and make sure you get life cover !!!!!!

Hi

I think many of us would recommend AXA £7000 per year renewable for life for around £12 month .

Hi

I think many of us would recommend AXA £7000 per year renewable for life for around £12 month .

One of my dogs is with AXA at about £12.00 a month life cover. Claimed last year about £3,000 for X-Rays and MRI for SM. The policy only went up by about £1 a month even after claiming all this money. They also do Pre authorisation to pay the vet direct. I didn't have the money for the MRI so AXA agreed to pay the vet direct. This also depends on your vet but most vets except it.
Just make sure you insure your puppy as soon as you can as once there is a condition they will count it as pre existing and you won't be covered for that. I insure mine even before the free cover that comes from the breeder runs out.

Brian, you were lucky to pay about £12.00 with AXA, I got a quote last June for Ollie from them when he was 13 months old and was quoted £15.53 per month at £7,000 cover for life with £75 excess , I just don`t understand these pet insurances.

I would endorse AXA as well. Whichever firm you use, there's a two week period between taking out the insurance and it becoming active. As far as possible, avoid taking your puppy to the vet during this period (except for vaccinations of course) - if the vet picks up the tiniest heart murmur (and puppies can have murmurs that they grow out of) or any other symptom that might be even remotely related to an ongoing condition, and notes it in your puppy's medical record, the insurers may regard this as a pre-existing condition because the possibility was noted before the insurance kicked in, and refuse to pay out for it - ever!

The same is true if you ever change insurers - which I did a couple of years ago, moving from another insurer, who rocketed their premiums after Oliver cost about £500 for an X-ray and 3 sessions with a neurologist, to AXA. He was already diagnosed with SM, so AXA won't pay anything for that, although they are being very good about his recently diagnosed Dry Eye.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I'm with AXA too. I haven't had any problems with them claiming for Misty. They paid £1600 direct to Glasgow after her MRI scan in October, we got her renewal in December and it's £13 odd. It went up just over £1 :)

As for it being more expensive for a puppies quote, I think that's standard. They are viewed as a higher risk.

Two years ago when Murphy was 4, his insurance with Petplan had rocketed to £25. This was dispite having no claims :(. He's now with AXA too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Pam just checked back and this is what I posted on CT in Sept ,the girls renewable was October

" I had the girls AXA premium renewal invitations today and the are as below .I have them all falling on the same day so I
don't have to remember different days.

Poppy Aged 5 yrs 2 months- no claims ever - premium £160.17 = £13.35 MONTH
Daisy Aged 4 Yrs 9 months - 2 claims this year approx £2000.00 - premium £137.63 = £11.47 MONTH
Rosie Aged 4 Yrs 2 months - 2 claims this year approx - premium £2500.00 - premium £137.63 = £11.47 MONTH
Lily Aged 2 Yrs 11 months - no claims ever - premium £154.23 = £12.59 MONTH

Total premiums £589.66 which I paid this afternoon.I can only presume that if you claim the amount is spread over
all the Cavaliers as a breed and so you are not penalised as an individual by an increase in premium's ,otherwise how
can Daisy and Rosie' premium who have both claimed be cheaper than Pops who has never claimed . I did ask them last
year why Lily was dearer than Rosie and they just said that they pay out more on a Cavalier of Lily's age than they
do one of Rosie's age. Anybody any other explanation. "

Thanks for all the fantastic advice! - much appreciated :D

Have just had a quote from AXA for both my dogs, £10.68 for Maisy who is my Cavalier puppy and £11.44 for Molly my Labrador! I'm very surprised that Molly's came out higher than Maisy's as I thought that the Cavalier was more prone to health problems than a labrador???? But still this is less than half of what I was quoted by Petplan last night so I'm very happy with both quotes :)

xxx

Back