Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concern For Lily

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian: as you described yourself, you have a dog that has more than half a dozen times, yelped in pain for *no reason at all*. Yelped as if 'someone was ramming a needle into her bum'. I've never heard of anal glands causing issues for three months... or recurrent crying out over such a long period? It is just very strange. I have never had any dog do that -- including three with SM, one that had disk problems, and a couple of ruptured anal gland experiences, too.

I'd want a lot more investigation, starting with an xray and if nothing was found, a clinical neurological exam. But that's me.

What in the world does your vet think this was? Seriously, anal glands? -- six times in 2-3 months plus the episode when feeding (and if you remember PDE, walking and lowering the head to feed are typical times when SM pain appears).

If this happens one more time I hope you will seriously consider more investigation than just a vet general exam... (not even doing an xray... )? Vets are not great at picking up neurological issues -- that is why7 on average it takes two years for dogs to get a proper diagnosis when they do have SM. Vets are very poor at checking for signs as it isn't their area of expertise.

Meantime we will all hope with you that it is anal glands, and there will be no more issues.

PS aren't you giving them all sorts of fibre and oat bran etc?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Charlie's anal glands ruptured a couple of years ago, he was running around like his usual loony toon self all day at our local nature reserve. Only when I rinsed him off in the shower did I notice his entire back end was purple!! He didn't show any signs of pain until they actually burst and he helped once. I've not known a full anal gland to cause that much pain!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

I still think all dogs are different, what bothers one may not bother another, just my opinion

As an example - Pippin had a ruptured anal gland and abscess that we didn't even know he had until he came running to greet me as I returned from work one evening, and when I picked him up he was all wet over his rear end, we rushed him straight to the vets and it was quite serious needing a lot of care and treatment. I had been only a few hours in work that day and the rest of the family were at home and he was his usual playful self... On the other hand Gus was very bothered a few years ago by a full anal gland that showed no sign of infection and only needed to be emptied, just this morning he became very agitated biting at his back/side/rear end, I jumped up to him and he was going berserk! Turned out to be a seed from a doggie biscuit he had sat on that was bothering him! It was on his tail and he could feel it every time he sat down
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Glad Lily is ok
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks Sabby . I get more stressed out and upset when there's a possible problem with ant of the girls than anything
    else on earth ,the little monsters .She was there as normal at 5.30 am this morning lying on my chest and licking
    the end of my nose trying to get me up ,I couldn't help but smile and give her a hug ,how could you possibly be
    angry with any of them .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

She was there as normal at 5.30 am this morning lying on my chest and licking
    the end of my nose trying to get me up ,I couldn't help but smile and give her a hug ,how could you possibly be
    angry with any of them .
    Sounds like my Pippin
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Thanks Sabby . I get more stressed out and upset when there's a possible problem with ant of the girls than anything
    else on earth ,the little monsters .She was there as normal at 5.30 am this morning lying on my chest and licking
    angry with any of them .
    Im the exact same Brian, i worry too much about my two & always think the worse unfortunately.
    Glad to hear Lily is ok tho x
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

angry with any of them .
    I know what you mean.
    Most things in life I can cope with but when something is wrong with any of my three I feel so helpless. When any of them are sick I feel sick myself. Can’t believe I posted on here because I was worried that Ebony picked up a mouse.

PS i am sure you are watching Lily like a hawk
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "