• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Concern For Lily

Brian: as you described yourself, you have a dog that has more than half a dozen times, yelped in pain for *no reason at all*. Yelped as if 'someone was ramming a needle into her bum'. :( I've never heard of anal glands causing issues for three months... or recurrent crying out over such a long period? It is just very strange. I have never had any dog do that -- including three with SM, one that had disk problems, and a couple of ruptured anal gland experiences, too.

I'd want a lot more investigation, starting with an xray and if nothing was found, a clinical neurological exam. But that's me.

What in the world does your vet think this was? Seriously, anal glands? -- six times in 2-3 months plus the episode when feeding (and if you remember PDE, walking and lowering the head to feed are typical times when SM pain appears).

If this happens one more time I hope you will seriously consider more investigation than just a vet general exam... (not even doing an xray... )? Vets are not great at picking up neurological issues -- that is why7 on average it takes two years for dogs to get a proper diagnosis when they do have SM. Vets are very poor at checking for signs as it isn't their area of expertise.

Meantime we will all hope with you that it is anal glands, and there will be no more issues.

PS aren't you giving them all sorts of fibre and oat bran etc?

Charlie's anal glands ruptured a couple of years ago, he was running around like his usual loony toon self all day at our local nature reserve. Only when I rinsed him off in the shower did I notice his entire back end was purple!! He didn't show any signs of pain until they actually burst and he helped once. I've not known a full anal gland to cause that much pain!

I still think all dogs are different, what bothers one may not bother another, just my opinion:)

As an example - Pippin had a ruptured anal gland and abscess that we didn't even know he had until he came running to greet me as I returned from work one evening, and when I picked him up he was all wet over his rear end, we rushed him straight to the vets and it was quite serious needing a lot of care and treatment. I had been only a few hours in work that day and the rest of the family were at home and he was his usual playful self... On the other hand Gus was very bothered a few years ago by a full anal gland that showed no sign of infection and only needed to be emptied, just this morning he became very agitated biting at his back/side/rear end, I jumped up to him and he was going berserk! Turned out to be a seed from a doggie biscuit he had sat on that was bothering him! It was on his tail and he could feel it every time he sat down:)

Hi

Thanks Sabby .:rolleyes: I get more stressed out and upset when there's a possible problem with ant of the girls than anything
else on earth ,the little monsters .She was there as normal at 5.30 am this morning lying on my chest and licking
the end of my nose trying to get me up ,I couldn't help but smile and give her a hug ,how could you possibly be
angry with any of them .:rolleyes:

Hi

She was there as normal at 5.30 am this morning lying on my chest and licking
the end of my nose trying to get me up ,I couldn't help but smile and give her a hug ,how could you possibly be

Sounds like my Pippin:)

Hi

Thanks Sabby .:rolleyes: I get more stressed out and upset when there's a possible problem with ant of the girls than anything
else on earth ,the little monsters .She was there as normal at 5.30 am this morning lying on my chest and licking

Im the exact same Brian, i worry too much about my two & always think the worse unfortunately.
Glad to hear Lily is ok tho x

Hi

I know what you mean.
Most things in life I can cope with but when something is wrong with any of my three I feel so helpless. When any of them are sick I feel sick myself. Can’t believe I posted on here because I was worried that Ebony picked up a mouse.
:sl*p:

PS i am sure you are watching Lily like a hawk

Back