• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My puppy was just diagnosed with SM

Thinking about you and Dagny! I hope her symptoms get better soon. You are doing a great job of looking out for her

Hi,
I know that compassion you feel for your little one. My Isabelle was digonosed in 2010 she was 6 years old. My Doctor started her off with Tramadol 1/2 tablet twice a day for the pain, until her Gabapentin 50 mg 1 capsule twice a day, and Omeprazole 4mg 0.6 mL daily when that kicked in, she no longer needed the pain meds. That took a few weeks, but now she is doing excellent, they have not changed her meds, and she has been doing well. We go for rechecks every 6 months To a wonderful Neurologist Dr. Berry from Southern California Veterinary Speciality Hospital in Orange County Ca. People come from all over to see him I really love him, seeing he specializes in this breed make it easier for me knowing Isabelle is in good care. My prayer for you, is that you will find wisdom and peace in the decisions for your precious baby. One thing that helped Isabelle during her painful times, was I would take a warm blanket wrap it up like a sausage, then she would prop her head up onto it, It really helped relieve the pain. I also would slowly move her on her back and place to rolled up blanket on the sides of her and that helped her out a lot too. And the raised water and food bowels. Colder weather can seem to trigger the pain so maybe keep her warm and comfortable. I also bought steps so it limited her from jumping up onto the coach or bed. I hope your puppy feels better soon, I strongly believe that the Lord always gives us what we need, praying all will go well!

Blessings,
Pamela

Thanks Pamela. I'm going to continue doing everything I can.

On another note, I didn't want to post another thread on this, so if anyone is reading this and has suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing them. Basically, Dagny's meds are reformulated into her dosage by the pharmacist into capsules that you can split open and shake out the powder. I have to do that because she won't eat the capsule on its own even in food. So we've been shaking the powder out into all kinds of things and she seems to like it in little pieces of frozen cannelloni that we microwave. That was going great until last night when she sniffed it and walked away. We tried apple sauce, cream cheese, peanut butter, etc but no. This scares me because I don't want to force the pills in her mouth (3 times a day, not fun) but at the same time, she NEEDS to get her meds. Does anyone have any suggestions? This morning, i made a scrambled egg and she ate it w/the powder, but I'm worried her taste for the egg will wear off. HELP!
Thanks in advance

Thanks Pamela. I'm going to continue doing everything I can.

On another note, I didn't want to post another thread on this, so if anyone is reading this and has suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing them. Basically, Dagny's meds are reformulated into her dosage by the pharmacist into capsules that you can split open and shake out the powder. I have to do that because she won't eat the capsule on its own even in food. So we've been shaking the powder out into all kinds of things and she seems to like it in little pieces of frozen cannelloni that we microwave. That was going great until last night when she sniffed it and walked away. We tried apple sauce, cream cheese, peanut butter, etc but no. This scares me because I don't want to force the pills in her mouth (3 times a day, not fun) but at the same time, she NEEDS to get her meds. Does anyone have any suggestions? This morning, i made a scrambled egg and she ate it w/the powder, but I'm worried her taste for the egg will wear off. HELP!
Thanks in advance

I am not 100 % sure if it was Gabapentin but I have seen a post by Nicki (I think) about not giving just the powder as it will affect her stomach lining.

Oliver takes his pills quite happily in pate one day and Brie cheese the next (I have a dog with elegant tastes - Aled gets in on the act as well, minus the pills!), and small chunks of sausage when we're away from home or out for the day. I imagine Dagny's dosage will go up as he grows, as it's based on weight to some extent, which will save having to split capsules - but then you have to get the capsules down him! All I can suggest is keep trying him with different foods until you find something he really adores, and even then ring the changes occasionally. Cavaliers are also notorious, of course, for using food as a way of getting attention, which may be behind Dagny's being OK with something for a bit then refusing it - one way of ensuring an interesting diet and being the focus of attention! Although ideally gabapentin should be given at regular intervals, it probably wouldn't hurt to take the spurned food up and put it down again an hour later - offering absolutely nothing else, not even a treat, in the meantime. Dagny may also be at the age that he needs to move to one less meal a day (2 instead of 3?) and simply isn't really hungry. Don't know if any of these ideas rings bells!

Pamela's advice was spot on. Another thing that some people find helpful - though I've never needed it myself - is a Lycra suit, which gives them steady warmth and support: www.k9topcoat.com and look for Lycra bodysuits.

Keep trying!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks Kate.

Just to clarify, I'm not opening the pills to split the dosage (they're already reformulated to her dosage). I'm opening them because she won't take the capsules whole in any food. She'll lick around it and leave the pill there in the bowl. The vet and pharmacist said it was OK to give her just the powder, so I hope I'm not doing any stomach damage. Ah, I hate all this! I'll keep at it...

Thanks Kate.

Just to clarify, I'm not opening the pills to split the dosage (they're already reformulated to her dosage). I'm opening them because she won't take the capsules whole in any food. She'll lick around it and leave the pill there in the bowl. The vet and pharmacist said it was OK to give her just the powder, so I hope I'm not doing any stomach damage. Ah, I hate all this! I'll keep at it...

I don't know if you have Pill Pockets in France, but I use them for Sydney. He gets 11 pills every morning and evening and it was a chore to medicate him. Now I wrap a few pills at a time in a piece of the Pill Pocket, then put a very small piece of deli meat around that. He takes them with no problem now. The Pill Pockets come in chicken and beef flavor and I also think there is a hypo-allergenic one too.

Are the meds helping Dagny any at this time?

Pill pockets aren't available in France (not that I've found), so my parents sent them to me and they should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. The thing with Dagny is that she'll take something in her mouth but then spit it out and dissect it. That's when she'll realize there's a pill and eat around it (like with Turkey or a piece of meat). She's not like my dog as a kid who would gobble everything in one bite w/o even chewing! But we'll try.

11 pills? Bless your heart! wow.

Dagny is doing OK, but has several scratching/face rubbing/weird walking, air scratching/twisted kind of bothered walking episodes each day. Not sure if the meds just help with pain (so no more screaming episodes) or are supposed to decrease the # of obvious bothered symptomatic episodes. Will have to ask the neuro that next time we speak. When she's outside, she's normally fine and not bothered. No one has a clue she has a problem at puppy school. It's when we're in the apartment, I think she realizes something is bugging her. It all just sucks to be honest, but we love her!

Thanks all for your support.

The advantage with pate is that it's soft and even a very small bit can be wrapped round the capsule so that it's not visible, but is just a tasty little something to swallow whole - and most dogs do seem to adore it. I find with even thin slices of cooked sausage that Oliver has to chew it and I have to watch that the capsule doesn't get tucked up his gums and spat out later - the pate goes down in one gulp! You could try giving it to Dagny as a reward for other things (like learning to sit) and when he's used to it, sneaking in the capsule - it's just a pity it's so messy!

As far as medication goes, it can take several weeks or even months to get the dosage and particular drug right. Gabapentin is not a pain killer, it's a pain preventive, it builds up a barrier to prevent the pain surfacing rather than letting pain happen and then dealing with it. So it should over time also deal with other symptoms like scratching - which are also symptoms of pain or irritated nerves.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

People have great thoughts on pill taking...but for Brooklyn, I had to just shove hers down her throat. A vet nurse taught me how to do it so it goes right down (you can google it, it is the placement on the back of the tongue (not all the way down) so as not to induce the gag reflex so the won't swallow but just enough that it is back there and has to be swollowed. I put it on the back of her tongue, close her mouth, tilt her head back and stroke her throat. That helps and she swallows it right away! Now it is SO easy, she even sits and waits for me to do it ;) But it is just a learning curve and the key to putting it in their mouth for them is to not put it twoards the tip of the tongue so they can spit it out, but not so far back that the gag. It is like right on the hump on the back of their tongue. For training, I also put a little honey on the pill, so she loves it. I let her have a little lick, then open her mouth (easy to do with your fingers opening from the sides of her mouth, almost where the jaw joint is) and down the hatch it goes. It still tastes sweet with honey, so I think she just forgets and then she gets to lick my fingers when it is done :)

I have also heard to coat (not a lot, just the lightest bushing) the pill in butter, this helps it go straight down. A lot of capsules get sticky when wet (i.e. when they hit the mouth) and so they cannot swallow them. This will fix that problem right away. I have tried it, it's pretty cool :)

Hi, that's great advice BrooklynMom. It actually made me laugh. Just imagining you doing that. Really great advice, gonna try that when she stops eating scrambled eggs...and will try to make it really pleasant. Not a shoving, but a gentle placement on the back of the tongue so she has to swallow. Love it. The issue w/the powder is that she can smell it and taste it. Would be better if she just took the capsule.

Yes, and when you put it on the back of the tongue...just lightly hold her mouth shut, tilt her head back and stroke her throat. She will for sure swallow that way :)

'The issue w/the powder is that she can smell it and taste it.' I can sympathise - I take gabapentin myself and if I hold it in my mouth too long before swallowing it tastes really horrible! A capsule well wrapped up in something should be easier.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

We have made pill giving time a big game! We have 3 Cavaliers on medication 6 x per day. The magic word in out house is "sweeties" in a high pitched silly voice.
We would notmally give the Gabapentin or Zitac in something taty, cheese, sausage, biscuit. It only needs to be small. Dotty is the only one who is not on medication
but she sits and waits her turn too:p. They are in a routine and often remind us when it is "sweetie" time. It also makes it easier if someone else apart from
us has to give them their "sweeties".

ps. it might be worth considering a different way of medicating that does not involve touching the head and neck area which is probably very sensitive.

Hi all, just a small update from the original poster on my dog's condition.

First, the biggest news is that she was spayed yesterday and is doing great! Not in any discomfort, just started eating and drinking again, walking and playing with her toys a little and overall is doing great. Such a relief. I knew it had to be done based on several doctors' recommendations but was understandably nervous. My vet here is wonderful and did everything to minimize her discomfort so Amen for that!

In terms of meds, I don't think we've exactly found the right dose, but we're getting close. We've upped the gabapentin twice and she's at 75 mg 3x/day (5.5kg dog now at just under 6 mos of age). Her symptoms are drastically reduced and I don't feel so hopeless anymore. I don't know how long I'll have her but I do know that I've done everything possible to get her comfortable.

She takes her medicines with the pill popper, I took someone's suggestion to call it "time for sweeties" and we alternate meds with half a treat. She runs over like a big goof to get her sweeties, so I'm really glad it's not hell to administer meds.

We're also looking into phytotherapy (science of using plants medicinally) and have a consult with a vet who practices that here next week and also do Reiki once a week and I do feel it has calmed her inside. Just had a session last night after the spay and today and she's less restless and more relaxed. Could be a coincidence but I doubt it. Basically, I'm pursuing every avenue possible as long as it doesn't harm her. We have to try, right?

As for me, I sleep easier now and am not as emotional. I know I have a fantastic girl here who would bend over backwards for me. All and all this situation is far from ideal, but I'm getting through. I know she knows I love her and I'm doing everything I can so I try not to beat myself up too much. Just trying to keep on moving forward...
Thank you again for all your posts and concern. Means a lot.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that she is doing well after her spay. It is always so stressful when our little ones need to have any kind of procedure done and a big relief when it is all over.

It's nice to know that the meds are making a difference and giving her some relief. In time I'm sure the right dosage will be found. You really are doing a good job getting her all the help she needs.

Great news on how well the spay went. Every dog is different, but I'm delighted yours has adjusted and is already on the mend.

Now to just get momma on the mend too....but it does sound like you are on your way. Hopefully the med change will last a long time, and put you in a better place for her next exam at closer to 1 year old.

Take care of yourself and. R sure to update us again.

Great news on how well the spay went. Every dog is different, but I'm delighted yours has adjusted and is already on the mend.

Now to just get momma on the mend too....but it does sound like you are on your way. Hopefully the med change will last a long time, and put you in a better place for her next exam at closer to 1 year old.

Take care of yourself and be sure to update us again soon.

Back