Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: My puppy was just diagnosed with SM

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a good update

Post Thanks / Like

Neurontin and Diamox for now but trying to get her off the Diamox for something that doesn't have the chance of causing stomach issues in the long-term.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Thats great to hear....glad you are feeling better too.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Any new update on Dagny?
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Hows dagny doing now??

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone, I posted an update last month but just for anyone who may still be following this:

Dagny seems to have adjusted well to her meds and while she still has a handful of scratches per day, they're no longer frantic and mornings don't start with crab walks that bring me to tears and excessive face rubbing. If her meds are late or the weather is bad, symptoms are worse, but instead of 20+ instances a day of symptoms, now it's probably more like 5 or so and they're short. Not 10 minutes of symptoms that just make me feel helpless.

She has fun at puppy school, loves running at the park and just tries to be a normal dog. I'm hopeful that the meds will continue to bring her relief. We're also speaking to a phytotherapist vet to see if there are some safe natural remedies to add to her treatment for her overall well-being, etc. The next hurdle will be when she's re-MRI'd in August (6 months from first one) to see if her condition has progressed. Hoping no, because I really, really don't want to go the surgery route. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Hope all your dogs are well!

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news, so glad she's doing well

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you SO much for the update. Many of us have continued to be worried for Dagny, and are thankful for the improvements she has experienced.

Please do keep us up on how she is doing.....
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I just joined the site but I read through this thread...what a heart wrenching story. I am snuggling my own puppy now and I actually got a tear in my eye imagining what it must be like. It's crazy how much you fall in love with your dog, and how quickly it happens..

SO glad to hear Dagny is doing better. She is very lucky to have such a good mama. How long are you in France for? And what did the breeder say?
    New mama to Lady - a charming ruby cavalier puppy. I love her more than chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ladybug, I live in France, not here on vacation or a temp assignment or anything. We will prob move back to the US though sometime in the next 3 years...

The breeder was horrified and said no dog in her line had ever had symptoms (that she knows of, and i believe her. but symptoms are easy to miss if they're mild and you don't know too much about the condition, or if they happen when you're at work and your dog is home). She was nice about it and we keep in touch, I'm not one to make enemies, but I don't trust her 100%. She refunded me half of what I paid for Dagny, so that was something, but I wanted a full refund. Oh well. The breeder had been breeding her dad for a few years, I think he's had 15+ litters in the past 4 years and never had an issue so she was convinced it was the mother (first litter, 2.5 years old). So she had her spayed the week after I gave her the news and placed her in a pet home. So I guess that was responsible but I would have stopped breeding the dad too as a precaution or at least MRI (not a guarantee, could be a carrier even if he's clear), but that costs a lot of money.

Oh well, we are where we are now, so just one day at a time....