• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

my 11 month old black and tan boy toto just diagnosed with severe onset syringomyelia

I am so sorry to hear about Totos diagnosis. Bonnie was diagnosed with SM at 9 months and we ended up going down the medication road. Starting with Prednisolone only and then after a couple of years had to add Gabapentin into the equation these seemed to control her symptoms reasonably well, though she had good days and bad days but through it all maintained her happy disposition and in true Cavalier fashion she never went off her food. We lost her at 3 yrs though due to unrelated reason to her SM though I do believe that the Prednisolone affected her ability to fight infection after major surgery which was the cause of us having to euthanize.

Sounds like Toto is a real character so my suggestion is just enjoy every moment you have with him and hopefully the meds give him quality of life cause Cavaliers are such joys to have inyour life

I am so sorry to hear about Toto, I have a black & tan too, all cavaliers are so adorable and its heartbreaking when I hear one has sm or is ill. My sm affected cavalier has good days and some not so good days with scratching at the flank but he loves his food all the same. I hope Toto's pain can be controlled with meds and he can enjoy his life with you as long as possible. I heard in the nearby park that a cavalier has died from lung worms from eating a snail. We need to take good care of and cherish our cavaliers very day.

My Tobey was diagnosed in February (occipital caudal malformation) and operated on February 13. He is doing extremely well. I struggled with the MRI because I had to know what I would do with the information and when I was certain I would proceed with surgery, I had the MRI and Tobey had the surgery. Here in the US we have a wonderful neuro doctor at Tufts Cummings Foster Animal Hospital. I know I'm blessed to be able to proceed with the surgery. There is a credit card "Care Credit" that allows for zero interest for six months. Google it and see if it's available where you are.

Back