• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Health Check

Brian M

Hi

If you don't do Annual Boosters how often should you take your Cavalier in for a health check up. ?

Annually. Just as kids need annual physicals. The owner can miss signs of problems a vet will pick up -- but if left longer than a year, it may be too late to do anything or what can be done may be more limited and considerably more expensive.

Their lives are short, in human terms -- they def need annual check-ups by a responsible owner. (y)

I get boosters so I ask for a full check up while we're there. If we didn't I'm sure I would stick to annually :)

Winston and Bubbles are checked once every year because they are in perfect health.

Rebel is 9 years old, with symptomatic SM, so he is routinely checked every 3 months. Little Joe is epileptic but has an annual health check. Holly P is checked every six months plus a Schirmer Test (tear count).

Hi
Taking our Pops for a once over at 2.50 pm today and as she is 5 1/2 I will dread the part when they check her heart :(

It was nice speaking to you the other day Flo you came over just as I thought ,A Lovely Lady .

Jasper has a check up every 3 months as he is on heart medication and Ollie has a check up every year when he gets his booster.

Hello Sue

As Daisy was found to have a Grade 2 murmur last August and Simon said to fetch her back in twelve months ,is that because
she is only a Grade 2 and not yet on medication that he said he has no need to see her for that time unless of course I notice
a deterioration in her condition .As I said earlier the only thing on my mind now is that moment this afternoon when she gets
her heart checked ,oh for these curses of MVD/SM not to exist so we can just enjoy our Cavaliers without these things in the bcak of your mind all the time.

Hello Alana

Poppy I take thsi afternoon so will let you know ,thanks for asking.

Best Wishes

Bri

While it would be nice if our dogs didn't have murmurs at all, a Grade 2 is not serious (even though it's wise to keep weight down and avoid walks in scorching weather - which I'm sure you do). Symptoms aren't likely to start appearing until you get to a Grade 4 or higher (though obviously there are exceptions), so if Daisy isn't showing any symptoms an annual check-up is all that is needed. Aled has a Grade 3 but no symptoms, so I just take him to the Cavalier Club championship show every March to get a quick once-over from Simon. If he started showing symptoms I'd whip him to the vets double-quick, but he's stayed at Grade 3 for over 2 years now, and keepingthem slim and fit is really all you can do (plus Aled has Omega 3 daily - as you know, Simon says this can retard development of a murmur).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Kate

Thanks for your post .Simon I really appreciate he is a smashing man and for me exudes confidence ,knowledge and utter respect and I am so lucky living about 20 mins down the motorway from N. W. S. What he also said when we saw him was that a daily supplement of Taurine as well as Omega 3 is also very beneficial for MVD.

Hi
Back from the Vets and apart from emptying her anal gland they found absolutely nothing wrong ,so I asked the Vet for some calming tablets for me .

Hi
Back from the Vets and apart from emptying her anal gland they found absolutely nothing wrong ,so I asked the Vet for some calming tablets for me .

Glad Poppy is in good health. Ebony has a low grade murmer but I take her once a year to the cardio to see how her heart is working.

Back