• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking at tv

ashleighelizabeth

Does anyone else have a puppy who barks like crazy at the television??? Sonny ALWAYS has barked when there are animals on tv, which I can understand, but lately he is barking at everything including when my husband is just watching shows on stocks and all that is on the tv are boring graphs!!!! :sl*p:

Sonny will be laying on the couch and then jump off and run to our entertainment center and start jumping up and barking wildly. We have been telling him to get down and he listens most of the time, but the problem is he will start running and barking just a couple of minutes later! It has gotten very difficult to watch tv with him.

Our best approach so far when he does this is to tell him to get his toys and sometimes he will run for a toy and start playing.

Anyways just wondering if anyone else has had cavaliers who get excited with the tv.

Hi
Poppy sleeps with one eye permanently open watching the TV and barks and goes bananas at dog,cats ,elephants,mice,fish,cows and absolutely anything that remotely looks like an animal real or cartoon like ,so no more Animal channel or such for me .And if Pops starts then Rosie kicks off and Lily joins in and then Daisy barks cos the others are barking so I have to turn the telly either off or over ,but fortunately for me they dont bark when Dad ,thats me ,is watching Rugby ,Cricket ,Football ,Boxing or similar so the most watched channel is Sky Sports ,but that means I have to watch on my own with the girls while my wife Dawn watches her programmes on her telly in another room .
She now also recognises the music on certain adverts that contain animals so as soon as the music starts even before the animals appear she is the get ready to go bananas mode before they even appear .

I am interested to the responses to this question. Overall, Darcy is usually well behaved but like Sonny and Poppy, she can go a bit crazy at animals on tv and jumps off the couch, sliding along the wooden floors towards the tv. Our first baby is due in June and I am wondering how best to deal with this behaviour so that baby is not woken by crazy barking whenever there are animals on tv!

Ours have an issue with this, and any Cavalier owner who I know in person has asked me about it as well - maybe it's a breed thing!
When Izzie was a puppy she would bark and it was cute, but now not so much. She also sets off George who just barks because she is. It can get so frustrating when most of the time the only programs I'm interested in are animal related. Izzie even has a small muffled bark she now has for the tv due to being shouted at for her "big bark" lol!

We've now started to distract them with treats and toys any time it happens though which has been working so far, as it's pretty annoying now!

My sister's Yorkie does this. He only barks at dogs on tv, seriously only dogs.He jumps off the sofa and tries to attack the tv. My sister and her husband even had the tv mounted higher in the wall so he can't reach it. It is very funny but then annoying. They "solved" it by teaching him to lay under a blanket when they are cuddling at night on the sofa but I have seen him freak out at barking dogs on tv anyway. I thought it was the weirdest thing I've ever seen a dog do, guess it happens.
Melissa

Dougall always has his eye on the TV! He barks only at animals, cartoon animals and animal shapes. On one occasion something was running on the TV, disappeared, Dougall immediately went to the window to see where it had gone ! Molly and Dotty are not interested and get fed up being disturbed. Coco (our new Cavalier) looks under and behind the cupboard to see where the intruder has gone even though she does not see anything on the TV.

This Dougall watching TV

6882278835_122403299b_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He has now spotted an intruder and is getting ready for the kill!

6882276301_3011498692_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dougall giving the TV a good BARKING.

6882277627_ae2ffbba3a_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dotty shielding his eyes from something naughty on TV

6882275215_92f760c719_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:rotfl:at Tonia's photos!!

Bobby does this too... yet, he is very selective at what he barks at on TV. Horses are a big thing, once he hears the hooves, he's sliding across the wood floors flyin' at the TV barking with everything he's got. Sometimes he barks at black people on the TV too--- sorry, for anyone who is black, (we love all peoples), but Bobby seems to just want to bark at them. Oh, and he barks at that Jus-Rol pastry ad with the little pastry lady. Oh, and war movies, he doesn't like the bomb sounds and gunfire. Also Sinister music- the kind before something bad is about to happen on a movie. The list goes on and on....

Here's what has worked for us: we tell him to leave the room when he barks now... and we close the door on him, leaving him in the hallway. It's working, as soon as we say quiet or leave, he stops! I recommend giving your dog a 'Time-Out' like that, it does work- but takes a long time and you have to be consistent. If we don't work this out, I fear he's gonna give me a heart attack with his sudden barking.

I have to add, that Bobby knows command words like 'out', which means to leave through the doorway out of a room and 'quiet', which to him means to stop barking. I guess you would need to teach your dog these things before training them with time outs, etc.

I have to add, that Bobby knows command words like 'out', which means to leave through the doorway out of a room and 'quiet', which to him means to stop barking. I guess you would need to teach your dog these things before training them with time outs, etc.

Our method is to switch over to another channel, fast and effective :jmp2: but well done Desrae cl*p

Yes, Bosco snoozes on the couch too with one eye half open so he can be ready to attack those baddie creatures. If I know something I'm about to watch will be animal orientated I usually pile up some cushions on the coffee table in front of him to block his view. I just have to figure out how to stop him listening to the programme as well :)
Sue best of luck with with training Darcy - Desrae's idea sounds a good one.

Those pictures are so cute! Exactly the concentration and faces my Izzie makes while watching the tv too :p !

Forrest doesn't bark at the tv, but does love watching certain things. It's so weird...he loves really animated cartoons (the Grinch has him mesmerized).

187c630f-9ab5-a2fd.jpg

Ignore the messy dresser :)

Forrest just loves sitting with me and watching videos of Cavaliers on YouTube. It's a weird little hobby we started when he was a puppy and I would watch Cavalier videos on YouTube on my iPad making sure Forrest was acting like a normal puppy (I was always worried!) and he just loved watching the other dogs.

My best trick is (and I know this is weird, but it works for him), if Forrest is being honery and running around like a mad man I just put the dogs barking Jingle Bells YouTube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam01uaj6Vg&feature=youtube_gdata_player) on the tv or computer and Forrest immediately will sit and watch and tilt his head back and forth to the music and he immediately is well behaved. He's an odd puppy :)

Ollie does watch some TV, especially if there are animals in them, it is really funny to see him, he runs to the TV and jumps up and barks and then runs into the hall to look for them, I have a really sweet photo of him watching the film Stewart Little, shame I am hopeless at posting photos.

Hi
Poppy sleeps with one eye permanently open watching the TV and barks and goes bananas at dog,cats ,elephants,mice,fish,cows and absolutely anything that remotely looks like an animal real or cartoon like ,so no more Animal channel or such for me .And if Pops starts then Rosie kicks off and Lily joins in and then Daisy barks cos the others are barking so I have to turn the telly either off or over ,but fortunately for me they dont bark when Dad ,thats me ,is watching Rugby ,Cricket ,Football ,Boxing or similar so the most watched channel is Sky Sports ,but that means I have to watch on my own with the girls while my wife Dawn watches her programmes on her telly in another room .
She now also recognises the music on certain adverts that contain animals so as soon as the music starts even before the animals appear she is the get ready to go bananas mode before they even appear .

That is awesome about them recognising the music...I will tell the kids at school...they are learning about music for film and television ;)

Bella barks when there are animals on tele too.

I always watch Cavalier videos on You Tube too!!!! LOL

That is so funny about putting on the barking jingle bells for Forrest. I wish that trick would work for Sonny!

Forrest doesn't bark at the tv, but does love watching certain things. It's so weird...he loves really animated cartoons (the Grinch has him mesmerized).

187c630f-9ab5-a2fd.jpg

Ignore the messy dresser :)

Forrest just loves sitting with me and watching videos of Cavaliers on YouTube. It's a weird little hobby we started when he was a puppy and I would watch Cavalier videos on YouTube on my iPad making sure Forrest was acting like a normal puppy (I was always worried!) and he just loved watching the other dogs.

My best trick is (and I know this is weird, but it works for him), if Forrest is being honery and running around like a mad man I just put the dogs barking Jingle Bells YouTube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam01uaj6Vg&feature=youtube_gdata_player) on the tv or computer and Forrest immediately will sit and watch and tilt his head back and forth to the music and he immediately is well behaved. He's an odd puppy :)

Someone recently told me about a new program on TV just for dogs, intended to keep them company during the day while their people work. I don't know any details but assume it would feature dogs. It might condition our dogs to adjust to digital animals, it might make them psychotic, or maybe it would tire them out. I would have to supervise before considering it, and I have no desire now. Has anyone else heard of this program?

Oh my goodness, this has been a big topic between me and Rose's "Aunt" (who has her sister/littermate). They both started with going nuts at the Travellers Insurance commercial with the white dog (and we live in seperate states!) and now it's moved on to any animal on tv. What I finally ended up doing with Rose (and it's tiresome, but my legs got a good workout for a while :p) is I would get up, stand between her and the tv, and tell her to hush and then give her a command she knows inside out (usually "sit") to get her attention focused on me and not the tv. Then she would sit there and sass me (it is SO hard not to laugh!!! little quiet growls and "woofs"). So I would take a step closer to her, and tell her to hush again, get sassed again, repeat a third time, and then it was "time out!" time (bathroom). When she got it right, she would get the enthusiastic "good girl"s that she loves. After a while of that, she now knows that if I tell her to hush and she doesn't, I get her attention by asking if she needs a time out. That usually does it about 99% of the time now :) . One thing that backfired on me was distracting her with a laser toy. She started barking at the tv and then turning around and looking at the floor, all excited because she KNEW that barking made her favorite toy come out *facepalm*.

I did show Rose the Cavalier class at Westminster(?) on the computer the other day, and she was excited and barked and woo woo'd and had to look all around the computer to find them, but after about 12 minutes of that, she was snoozing again. I never thought I'd see the day! lol

Charlie is just awful when it comes to any sort of,animal on T.V. He watches it all the time and things that run are a favorite and any sort of dog but it's the initial noise that riles him up in the first place!!

phew! thank you desrae as i thought i had the only dog that barks at black people along with a host of other things!
we are working with getting their attention away from the tv, even for a split second to start and then the single word 'NO' and it seems to be working.

Back