• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Couple of problems with puppy

Elvis is now 13 weeks and we had some problems when we got him as we found out he had a grade 6 heart murmur. We weren't sure if we could keep him due to vet costs but we have decided to keep him and he is doing fine. *ng*l

Because we live in an apartment two floors up we have some potty issues. He was trained on paper because we do not have a backgarden and he couldn't use the shared space until he was fully vaccinated (due to it being used by other dogs). He is now fully vaccinated (a little late due to the initial issues with his heart) and we have started taking him out to train him outside. I know this is double training and will be even harder but we did not have a choice under the circumstances. We have had him for 4 weeks now. Last week he stopped going to potty on the paper and now goes whereever he pleases in the flat.:(

Obviously he thinks he is to go in the house, so when he is out he holds in his toilet and you can tell he is absolutley bursting. It takes him about 10 seconds as soon as we are back in the house to go. I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips to help him know he can go outside. I know it is going to take a while but any tips would be grand! :confused:

Patience and a walk. And returning to spots where he has peed befort\e as this triggers them to go in the same place (or where another dog has recently gone -- eg corners of buildings, posts and so forth). This is a common problem -- be sure to take out some lovely lovely small high value treats -- eg cube of cheese or dried liver etc -- and the second he starts to go, quietly praise and treat the second he finishes! Soon he will get the idea that going outside gets happy praise (in a high pitched voice is best!) and lovely treats. :)

Back