Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sparky won't stay home! Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah her channel is so worth subscribing to! I love her training approaches.

My four dogs run toward the front hallway anytime the front bell goes or someone knocks, barking away -- but because I have always told them to wait outside the hall door, and always sent them out and closed the door to my 'dog airlock' before opening the front door, they have 'trained themselves' to know they can run UP to the hall and bark away (I like the canine warning/security system! ) but they never, ever enter the hall itself any longer in this particular situation --when I open the front door to answer to a caller. I always praise them for waiting outside before I close the hall door. To reinforce this, I could treat right upon re-entering the room (eg keep a little treat bag near the front door to always reinforce good desired behaviour).

I found this very interesting -- that the dogs had self-learned to wait simply because this behaviour was regularly reinforced and that all four respect the boundary line of the hall. If I had an open area before the door and no hallway, I might mark out a floor area in tape and train the dog(s) never to cross it without permission -- to always sit at that tape line and wait to be attached to a lead and released to walk forward and out the door. All sorts of possibilities but this does all take daily practice, positive reinforcement, constant practice, and family support at every level.

One thought -- if there is a back gate maybe make the front door off limits to ALL for entry/exit except on special occasions and have kids go through a back gate that has an automatic spring-closure mechanism -- and they only can go out when they are absolutely sure Sparky is not outside. But I'd do this in conjunction with training desired front-door behaviour for Sparky too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, all such AMAZING suggestions and advice! THANK YOU. I have been very worried about how to fix the problem, and the answer seems simple! Lots of work and training, but I think we can fix it!

I wish we had a way to keep the dogs away from the doors, but our floorplan is laid out so it is all open to everything. I will work work work with him and get this fixed. Thank you so much to all for the kind words of advice and help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep checking in with us and let us know how things go. Training & management, combined, is the answer to just about every possible dog issue.A lot of times as owners I think we just need a new perspective on how to look at a problem because we begin to see it framed one way (usually the human angle), when looking at it another (from the dog's perspective!) presents a lot more possibility of a resolution. I cannot tell you how many times I have suddenly realised I was accidentally reinforcing exactly the opposite of what I really wanted my dogs to do. Or where I have had to stop and remind myself at a point of frustration, that I needed to take time to train a dog to do something that I wanted rather than expect he or she would just magically know...
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Keep checking in with us and let us know how things go. Training & management, combined, is the answer to just about every possible dog issue.A lot of times as owners I think we just need a new perspective on how to look at a problem because we begin to see it framed one way (usually the human angle), when looking at it another (from the dog's perspective!) presents a lot more possibility of a resolution. I cannot tell you how many times I have suddenly realised I was accidentally reinforcing exactly the opposite of what I really wanted my dogs to do. Or where I have had to stop and remind myself at a point of frustration, that I needed to take time to train a dog to do something that I wanted rather than expect he or she would just magically know...
    Sounds like teenage-boy training to me!
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not an area I am directly familiar with but having grown up with two brothers, I can see the parallels! (if only we could have crated them!)
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post

Not an area I am directly familiar with but having grown up with two brothers, I can see the parallels! (if only we could have crated them!)
    BOL!!! (bark out loud)!
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella